MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Questions on pearled barley

The only way I have ever used pearled barley is in soups.

It is basically fiber with a little protein. Doesn't seem to have vitamins or minerals to add. Is there any other way to use it? Does it have any other merit that I have missed that would make it useful to keep on hand???

Nutritional Facts

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21Tc.html

I like barley and use it in all of my red meat soups. It swells 4 times the amount used. So 1/4 cup swells to 1 cup. I think it brings a rich flavor with a nice texture to soups.

Like any other grain, can be used for cereal for breakfast too! or cooled and made into a salad. Very filling.

here are some examples of uses

Southwest Barley Salad - From January/February 2005 "Country Woman"

3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth

3/4 cup uncooked medium pearl barley

1 cup fresh or frozen corn

1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained

3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper

1/2 cup chopped green pepper 1/2 cup chopped green onions

1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 cup salsa

3 Tbs. reduced-fat sour cream

2 Tbs. lime or lemon juice

In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. In a large bowl, combine the corn, beans, peppers, onions, cilantro and garlic. Stir in barley.

Just before serving , combine the salsa, sour cream and lime juice; add to barley mixture. Serve warm or cold. Yield 6 servings. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch, 1 vegetable

back>>

Stuffed Chicken Breast with Spiced Cranberries & Barley

Barley Filling:

1 cup pearl barley, uncooked

1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms

1/4 cup diced onion

1/2 cup diced celery

3/4 cup chopped dried cranberries

1 teaspoon grated orange peel

1 Tablespoon minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon cinnamon Barley Filling (continued):

2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1/4 cup toasted almonds

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 4 to 5 oz.

Breading Mixture:

2 cups bread crumbs

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

parsley and garlic to taste

1/4 cup olive oil

In a sauce pan, combine all the filling ingredients from barley to cinnamon. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil, then simmer until barley is tender and all liquid is absorbed (cooking time will vary from 20-40 minutes depending on the type of pearl barley). Stir in almonds when cooled. With knife, split chicken breast, and coat with breading. Stuff with 1/4 cup of barley mixture. Bake at 300º oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Serves 6.

Nutrition Info. per serving: 590 calories, 18.5 grams fat (28% fat), 61 grams carbohydrates, 44 grams protein.

back>>

Barley Banana Bread Pudding with Carmel Sauce (make the banana bread with barley flour for an extra boost of fiber >>recipe)

3 cups banana bread

3 cups apples diced

2 cups cooked pearl barley

4 eggs

1 1/2 cups skim milk

3 1/2 Tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Pinch of salt

1/2 teaspoons nutmeg

1/4 cup raisins

1 store-bought jar caramel sauce

Cut banana bread chunk style. Toss apples with bread chunks, and barley and layer in the bottom of a baking dish sprayed with cooking oil. In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Pour over bread mixture. Sprinkle with raisins and nutmeg. Bake at 300º oven for 25-30 minutes. Serve drizzled with caramel sauce. Serves 6-8 servings.

Nutrition Info. per serving: 310 calories, 7 grams fat (20% fat), 2 grams saturated fat, 54 grams carbohydrates, 9 grams protein.

back>>

Barley Granola - Recipe given by Commissioner Clark Kauffman

3/4 cup oil

3/4 cup honey

1 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla

1/3 cup water

1/2 Tbsp. salt

2 cups rolled quick cooking barley

6 cups rolled quick cooking oats

1 cup wheat germ

1 cup coconut

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 cups raisins (optional)

1 cup nuts (combination of chopped peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, etc)

Whip together oil, honey vanilla, water, and salt until well mixed. Pour this over the remaining ingredients and mix well. Spread 1/2 inch deep in shallow baking pans. Bake for 30 minutes. Stir and continue baking, stirring every 15 minutes until golden brown -- about 1 1/2 hours.

back>>

Beef and Barley Soup - Better Homes and Gardens® Slow Cooker Favorites made Healthy

12 ounces boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

4 cups water

1 10 1/2-ounce can condensed French onion soup

1 cup shredded carrots (2 medium)

1/2 cup regular barley

1 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano

salt and pepper to taste

Lightly coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat. Brown meat in hot skillet; drain off fat.

In a 3 1/2 - to 4 1/2 quart slow cooker combine meat, water, soup, carrots, barley and thyme. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours (3 1/2 hours on High). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes 4 main-dish servings.

Nutritional Facts per serving: 252 cal., 5 grams total fat, 52 mg chol., 684 mg sodium, 29 g carbo., 5 grams fiber, 22 grams protein.

http://www.idahobarley.org/barleyrecipes.htm

I found a relatively new strain of barley called "Sustagrain". The only place I have found it available is King Arthur (online or catalog). It has twice the protein and fiber of regular barley and half the carbohydrate. It is, unfortunately but predictably, more expensive than regular barley. DH and I have to watch carbs, so we have found the price worth it. I use it instead of rice or potatoes. It comes in both flake and flour form.

Ginny

It figures. I become a mod in the kitchen & all of a sudden the talk turns to things I know nothing about- barley (which I have no experience with), grits (which I don't even like) & co-ops (which, um, yeah...).... DarleneSwoon

Don't fire me yet!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived