MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canned Potatoes Question

YYY

Hi Everybody,

Last weekend I canned white potatoes for the first time. I followed the instructions in the Ball Blue Book. Everything looked fine when I put them away. The liquid in about half of the jars is now very thick and no liquid moves if I tilt the jars – almost as if it was a gel. Does this always happen or did I do something wrong? Are the potatoes in these jars safe to eat?

Thanks in advance,

YYY

Yup... 'tis the nature of the beast. ;) Lots of starch!

Canned potatoes are best used as "frying" potates, or chopped in casseroles. We like them best as hash browns.

The texture doesn't lend itself well to a lot of fresh-potato use, like as mashed potatoes or plain "boiled" potatoes in butter. The texture is kind of "chunky", not tender.

But they will keep well and not rot like fresh might.

:bighug2:

Thank you both for the heads-up on what canned potatoes will look like. I just dug out the taters out of our patch yesterday. When I can stand up straight again I will be canning most of them, probably next weekend. It will be my first time canning potatoes. I have some boxes of Pickle Crisp and intend to add some to each jar, per Violet's suggestion.

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for your replies. I am so happy that I won't have to throw the potatoes out.

I fried up a pan of the potatoes with some added onion. They were great. Cat, I'm glad you said that these should be used for frying potatoes because that was what I wanted them for.

I think I must have missed something. What will the Pickle Crisp do? I only added salt and water.

Thanks,

YYY

Hi Everybody,

Violet thanks for the info and like Amishway Homesteaders, I'd like to see a link for this. I don't know if I'll use the Pickle Crisp for now because what I canned were great for fried potatoes - which is what I wanted. Maybe at some point in the furture.

As always, thanks

YYY

Hi again Everybody,

Violet, thanks for the info on the amounts of Pickle Crisp to use.

As soon as i see a good sale on sweet potatoes, I think I'll try canning a jar or 2 to see if I like them.

Thanks,

YYY

• 3 weeks later...

a little off topic, but... I bought a 50lb bag of potatos a while back and canned them all up. We have not been eating them because they have taken on a strange flavor. I recognise the flavor as store bought canned potatoes have it as well. Do you guys know what I am talking about? Is there a way to avoid this? The few jars that I canned in beef broth actually taste a lot better.

They just taste different. I agree. Try rinsing them well and use in stews, etc. That is what I have to do with mine.

We have tried them in a few different ways, and decided we just don't like the taste. I have been giving them to my chickens and they LOVE them! They are going to use, but they are VERY labor intensive chicken feed! heh.

Archived