MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Haystack

:) Might be a regional thing, gofish! ;) I knew exactly what you meant.

The Amish around here often hold different kinds of fund-raising dinners when there's a (usually medical) financial need. It's often a "haystack dinner" because you can have individuals bring in individual ingredients and everyone shares. They advertise and invite everyone who wants to come, so they get a lot of local "English", too, and a monetary donation is given.

Northern Indiana "Haystack" dinner, as I know them:

~~~

MEXICAN HAYSTACKS

crushed saltine crackers

7 cups hot cooked rice

1 head lettuce, chopped

tomatoes, diced

1 bag taco chips, crushed

3 lb hamburger

1 lg jar spaghetti sauce

chopped pecans

olives, chopped

3 cans cheddar cheese soup

3/4 c milk

Brown and drain hamburger, add to spaghetti sauce. Heat soup with milk. Serve ingredients in separate dishes for each to create their own “haystack”.

Serves 13.

~~~

I've also had it with what I consider more "Mexican"... taco seasoning in the ground beef and no spaghetti sauce. No pecans, and using black olives. And shredded cheese instead of messing with cheese soup.

Basically you just chop up fresh veggies you like, cook rice, cook ground beef as you like it (could be just plain beef with a little dried beef bouillion added for flavor, or dried beefy onion soup added with a little water), and let everyone choose their own meal. ;)

Or go oriental with rice, chicken, and those crunchy chow mein noodles.

I go to a Mennonite church so maybe it is regional. :) You can feed a lot of people this way. Last night was just a get together with friends.

Never had pecans, but I thought that cashew would go well with it. I've had it with salsa ,sour cream ,green peppers and onions.

Chocolate and coconut sound great, I like butterscotch too. Do you have recipes for them?

On a sad note one of the guys last night was late. He was topping a hill and a car was passing a Amish buggy going up the hill.He took the ditch. The car hit the buggy.9 people in the buggy were thrown all over the road.The horses broke loose and ran into another buggy causing another accident.Several of them had concussions and broken bones.

Archived