MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Nanomasks

Freetobeme

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the $125 family pack of nanomasks. I shopped the other sites and this was the best deal. I also emailed the link to family and friends urging them to check it out.

If my mom contracted the bird flu it would be the end of her. My daughter has asthma and I don't think she would fair well with it either.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless I could sell one of my children, I'll never be able to afford those , maybe I'll get lucky and sell a lot on eBay and be paid through paypal, then DH will never have to know how I got that family package, I'd difinately buy it if I could!

The N95 masks, while not the nano masks, are still an excellent source of protection should we need it. I personally have not looked into them, so am not sure where the best prices could be found, but on a random google search, I found them anywhere from 6 through 20 pack filters for around $20.00.

A little at a time wickie, we all hafta remember that. None of us has a few thousand dollars or more to go from nothing to everything we think we might need to prepare. it's just one step in front of the other, 1 mask, 1 can, 1 bottle of whatever at a time...in the long run you're gonna be way ahead of the majority of the population who isn't preparing at all.

Chin up chica!

I bought my Nano masks in March directly from the

company. Darlene,the Nano mask is cheaper than the

N95, or at least it was when I bought mine. I do

think it is cheaper to buy it directly from the

company.

Rox

I bought 10 *i think* (I'd hafta go look at my email)...I haven't received them yet, but it's interesting that you say that they're cheaper than the N95 masks...I hadn't priced the N95's cause I was only interested in the N100's but it's a good thing if they are.

I'm interested to see what they look like in person, although I kinda dread the thought that they might be a necessity and a reality.

Quote:
I bought 10 *i think* (I'd hafta go look at my email)...I haven't received them yet, but it's interesting that you say that they're cheaper than the N95 masks...I hadn't priced the N95's cause I was only interested in the N100's but it's a good thing if they are.

I'm interested to see what they look like in person, although I kinda dread the thought that they might be a necessity and a reality.

How many filters did you get? Did you know that the mask
and filters are only good for one year? They (the Nano)
still are cheaper. I think I said that before.

Rox

I think it's similar to what goatherder's deal was...115 filters for each family pack, for a total of 230 for 2 family packs for me...

I have 4 children, I bought for my mother and father and I have 2 brothers with families down here so I just got a few extra, just in case.

And yeah, I saw something about how they're only good for a year, but sometimes I just say to myself, I'd rather have them and not need them and have them expire, than to not have them and need them...(if i'm making any sense, it's very late for me....i can't sleep, can ya tell? lol)

Quote:
I've bought 2 small bottles of elderberry tincture at the health food store...is that sambucol?

Darlene: <------ still learning about those things.

No Sambucal is an elderberry extract made in Israel.
It is the only elderberry extract that has been tested
and recommended as a "possible" antidote to be used
if coming down with the bird flu. There is a prescription
called Tamiflu but it is hard to get and many cannot take
it. I am a diabetic with kidney disease (no big thing)\
so I know that I cannot take Tamiflu. So I made the
decision to buy the Sambucal. Now some people are
making their own elderberry extract. While I encourage
home remedies, I would not risk my life or the lives
of people I love, in this instance, on my home remedy.

Well, I'm getting all kinds of confused. LOL...

I've ran across several sites that claim the N95 mask does not provide enough protection, if any, against a virus.

Then I ran across several more sites stating the N95 provides adequate protection against a virus and, is even recommended for protection from the SARS virus.

What is one supposed to believe?

N95, Nano, N95, Nano.........etc, etc, ad nauseum....

{Arrrrrggggghhhhhh}

Pogo, I'm confused too.

Goatherder, maybe it's a duh moment for me, but I can't access one of the links shared here and I'm not sure where to find information on Nanomasks on the other link.

I'll share some of my luscious double chocolate brownies with anyone who can provide me text with Nanomask vs. N95 mask information.

No, I haven't received them yet...they stated on their site that it would take about 3 weeks, and I think it's been about 9 days, so we'll see...

I'll let ya know when they come in...so much of this purchasing is done with eyes wide closed, fingers crossed and prayers sent above.

Food for thought or for "food fights"

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Flu/story?id=1182529&page=1

From http://www.osha.gov/dsg/guidance/avian-flu.html -

The CDC has recommended that, the minimum requirement is a disposable particulate respirator (e.g. N95, N99 or N100) used in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.134 for respiratory protection programs. Workers must be fit tested for -the model and size respirator they wear and must be trained to fit-check for facepiece to face seal, when entering the room.

From http://www.bt.cdc.gov/coca/summaries/avianflu020504.asp

Airborne precautions, which entail, whenever possible, the use of an airborne isolation room. Such rooms have negative pressure to the outside environment. They also have special air-handling characteristics, such that the air in the room is changed 6 to 12 times every hour. Recommendations include the use of a fit-tested NIOSH-approved N95 or higher respirator for respiratory protection for the healthcare workers who enter that room.

(This whole page has a lot of Avian Flu info)

From http://www.buynanomask.com/faq.htm

Why isn't NanoMask NIOSH certified?

The answer comes from the vice-president of marketing for Emergency Filtration, Mr. Pete Clark: "We had to validate our technology against bacterial and viral challenges and NIOSH was not able to provide biological validation. They currently test against a challenge of sodium chloride which is not able to measure the effectiveness of the nano-particle enhancement. We are developing the nanoparticle technology in conjunction with the U.S. Military and sodium chloride testing was not sufficient. We are registered with NIOSH and still intend to submit the mask for certification but had to validate the technology first. In any case, we are not striving to achieve the N-95 standard because we do not want to produce a 95% efficient product such as N-95. Our goal is to produce a mask that is as close to 100% efficient as possible and believe enhanced filters are the way to achieve this."

How often should I replace the NanoFilter?

Nanoparticles on the filter are active for up to 48-hours. When you replace the filter, wash your hands, and disinfect the NanoMask in diluted bleach.

What is the shelf life of a NanoMask and NanoFilter?

Currently the shelf life is 1 year for each.

Here is a major concern that I have. I read on the Nanomask site not more than two weeks ago that when in a "hot zone", the filter should be changed every 10-20 minutes. I have scoured that same site and cannot find that statement. I have a great concern if they have removed that statement just to keep the sales coming.....

Quote:
Here is a major concern that I have. I read on the Nanomask site not more than two weeks ago that when in a "hot zone", the filter should be changed every 10-20 minutes. I have scoured that same site and cannot find that statement. I have a great concern if they have removed that statement just to keep the sales coming.....

Well I'm no expert, and I vaguely remember reading something along those lines somewhere too, butttttttttttttttttttt...

Common sense would dictate to me that whatever kinda mask I was wearing, whether it be a N20, N43, N67 (these aren't real masks), N95 or N100, if I was in a *hot spot*, I'd assume any of them would need more frequent changing, yanno what I mean?

I just can't envision that an N95 would require less rotation than a N100.

I dunno.

In fact, a N95 would need MORE rotation than an N100.

I'm just questioning the integrity of their marketing.

The front page of their website also states:

"A traditional filter without the nanoparticle coating, like N95, would turn into a breeding ground for a virus or bacterial agent. Thus we caution you against using any N95 mask in a pandemic or epidemic, or even to stop ordinary colds."

The ordinary cold??? Come on, the CDC recommends an N95 for SARS protection. Let's not scare the hell out of people just to move your product.

I know it's all about sales, but outrageous statements make me cautious.

I think the point they're trying to make, is that there's something in the N100 filters that actually kills the germs on contact...

I could be wrong, and I'm too lazy to go check at the moment...

Fortunately, for most of us, the NANO needs to be changed every 24 hours

since we don't live in hot zones.

Doesn't the N100 have to be changed every 15 hours?

I think between the Nano and the N100 it is a matter

of preference. I like the way the Nano fits the face.

You are right - the Nanos do claim to actually kill the virus.

But for those who get sqeamish about the price of the nanos, the N95 is still a good option and maybe more in line with their budget. It is what most healthcare workers are recommended to use.

I looked very carefully at the nanomasks (as much as possible on the Internet) and concluded that the mask itself should be good indefinitely. The filters are impregnated with material to kill or inactivate bacteria and viruses. For that reason, the shelf life is one year. As for their ability to filter out very small particles, that should also be indefinite. It would only be the chemical action that would weaken. The reason I like the nanomask better than the N95 is that they seem easier to fit to the face and are cut in such a way that those who wear glasses can use them without interference. They should also fit well enough to elimate the fogged glasses problem.

Archived