MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Nanomasks

Freetobeme

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I've been picking up on that in reading around on the net...

I wonder if Victoria's Secret will come out with a designer mask and goggles for the boudoir...

ROFL

*it's getting late, I can tell, every thought I have is striking me as incredibly funny...rofl*

Quote:
Yeah, I've been picking up on that in reading around on the net...

I wonder if Victoria's Secret will come out with a designer mask and goggles for the boudoir...

ROFL

*it's getting late, I can tell, every thought I have is striking me as incredibly funny...rofl*

Now that is funny! Perhaps with goggles like Elton John's
wild glasses. Do you remember those?

Oh geez, yesssssssssssssssssssss lol...that was his trademark, his different wild and crazy glasses...lol

He sure has toned down alot over the years...I guess getting older has mellowed him out.

• 2 months later...

so far this is what I found:

Flu viruses are most commonly transmitted through exposure to an infected person's coughing or sneezing. Face masks can provide effective protection providing that you have the right kind and that you have a good fit.

There are many different styles of face masks. Unfortunately, many of them are useless when it comes to protecting you from the H5N1 virus.

The best kind is a filtering facepiece mask, which are rated as N95, N99 or N100 meaning they are 95, 99 and 99.7 percent effective at removing small particles from the air.

http://www.survivetheflu.com/masks.html?cd=google:masks

I find it interesting that 95 stands for 95% and so on. Looks like the N100 is just a cut above the 95.

I hope someone here has an answer for us cause I have access to the N100 at no cost.

OK, pretend I just started looking at these masks and know nothing. Actually I remember looking at a post or two about them when I first came to this site and it seemed like they were WAY more expensive- like over $100 for 4, I may be wrong though.

DO I just need 1 mask per person? Or one mask per person per day? Or do you buy filters? And by the way the masks for several dollars and the ones for .35 all say N95 - is there a difference???? I am looking at the ones from the site on Westbrook's post.

soooooooo DO I sound confused, I am.

Can anyone straighten me out????

My nanomasks and extra filters arrived the next day. Fast service that. Unfortunately, they arrived in a cheap ,torn open manilla envelope with one mask unsealed like the postie had tried it on. The company name emblazoned on the package advertising what was in it won't have helped. I wrote to complain.

They arrived while my DW had friends round for coffee and I understand some discussion took place.

UKGUY

We were promoting the Nanomask quite heavily on our website but production problems and late deliveries have convinced us to consider other alternatives.

There is one other coated mask available. It's called the Triosyn T-3000. We've tried it and our conclusion is that if you have deep pockets and want a mask that will give you the ultimate in confidence, this is one to check in to.

We also have found a very inexpensive N95 rated mask that we like a lot. It's the Alpha Pro Tech Particulate Respirator. Also rated as an N95 mask, it's incredibly comfortable both in fit and breathing ease and it gives a good tight fit on virtually any sized face.

We have reviews of both of these masks on our website at http://www.survivetheflu.com/masks.html

For all I know the masks are really great to have, but we asked a friend of ours who is a medical doctor and he said the nanomasks are not necessary. He said not even medical staff would plan on using them if Avian Flu broke out.

He thinks we're not hearing accurate reporting regarding Avian Flu. He thinks a lot of people are getting sick and not dying - but that most of those cases are not in the news. In other words, he thinks the kill rate is not as high as is being reported.

For what it's worth.

Me? I don't know. I'm just sharing what the doc said. His opinion. There is probably another doctor down the road who has a different one!

I read a small article in the newspaper last week about a team that went into one of the 'hot' spots that found many people in the area had flu like symptoms and had recovered after a few days but that they had no idea, as of the time of the article, if it was actually the avian flu or another strain. The feeling is that it was the avian flu and that it was contracted from direct contact with poultry. It was hoped that meant it was not as deadly as first suspected.

However, It's my understanding that before this flu can become a Pandemic it has to mutate to the point that it is transmissable human to human and that strain could possibly be more deadly than the original. Or even less so if we are lucky but they won't know that until it DOES mutate.

Either way, does it really make that much difference to our preparations. There are threats of biological warefare, there are nuclear threats, there are natural disasters and there are man made disasters. Then there is illness, unemployment, stock market crashes, and the boogey man standing in the wings.

masks vs. no masks....

I will wear a mask! I need to get more! I am devoting a space for medical clothing, shoe covers, gowns, masks, head coverings so if I need an isolation ward... I can create one and be able to change my clothes. Paper can be burned.

Hi Neighbor!!!

my husband brought them home from work. On page 2 of this thread is links to places that sells some different types of masks. The ones I have are $5.95 which were the cheapest I found on the net but I have to say, I only did a minor search of the first 50 hits because I was looking for specific information on a specific mask (the ones in my hand). I didn't want to use them if they were the wrong ones. Since everyone said N95 were the ones and these were N100 I was only interested in info on them.

I am wondering if these or similar could be gotten cheaper if everyone went in and bought them.. together like a co-op???

I am sorry I am not much help.

I don't know why but when it comes to these masks and figuring out what to buy I get totally overwhelmed.

Thanks for the info, I am going to read up and make a decision and buy some. I found some at www.beprepared.com that had 20 for 39.99, but they aren't the kind that you change out the filters and in the long run probably would be more expensive.

Another question....would it be better to have the disposable ones since they say that the bird flu can be attached to the outside of the mask for 2-3 days after exposure rather than have the ones with filters?

So confusing to me!

Okay...I have re-read your posts and read more and answered my questions mostly. I know now how to clean a Nano mask if I purchased it. The N-95 that I found online are small...so that won't help.

So...now it is just deciding which ones to get and from where. I am getting closer to deciding! So many decisions! LOL!

After looking at the site you posted, I'd have to say yes, the masks are basically the same. I just think they are very expensive compared to ones we can get here in the states. Is there any possibility you can order from the US? I think even with the additional shipping you would still save money.

Off topic- sort of- I looked at the escape masks listed on your site and they are very interesting. I'm going to try to find something like that on this side of the pond.

By the way, welcome to MrsS!

My apologies, Sheena! I misspoke... The masks you were looking at are very similar to the N95 & N100 masks , which is what most people are probably going to buy. They are disposable masks, as opposed to the Nano mask, which has disposable filters.

I hope this helps...

Archived