MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How many pounds?

Guest Guest

I found this at another site. They are saying that one pund makes 3 quarts of the "stuff". They say you should have at least one quart per person, but ideally 3-4. Then if you had to you could share. What do you think? That's a lot of pounds in my case!

Well I bought 3 lbs, and I'm making my first batch of the tintcure with the brandy I had on hand. I need to go buy more alcohol, but I have to run up to a liquor store to do it since the groceries here don't sell it. I plan to order more elderberries to make a gallon of tintcure per person.

"I have 2 1/2 lbs of the stinky berries left."

LOL, I didn't find the odor offensive at first, but now it has permeated our home. I stored some of the herbs in a closet cubby hole, and Cavey complained that his clothes were stinking. My plan is to buy enough Vodka per payday to put that stink out of our misery by preserving in Vodka.

I bought 3 lbs, which is 3 quarts per person. I think that is enough. A qt is a lot per person, at a tsp or two at a time. I don't know why, but I think we will have a reprieve this year, and that next year will be more dangerous.

Grubby, I don't know about berries, but dried herbs have a very short shelf life unless preserved with Vodka. If you vac-pak the berries, they are supposed to have a one year life. Preserved in Vodka, they should last in the vicinity of 5 years.

Fla. grocery stores don't carry hard liquor either, just beer and wine. Albertsons here used to have a seperate store next to the grocery store for hard liquor but they closed it. Guess it's to the booze store to get Vodka.

Archived