MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Home made yoghurt

Yippee, I've just made my first batch of home made yoghurt. I had one failure the other day, the yoghurt turned out really runny (the dogs liked it though), so I told my husband I was going to keep experimenting until I got it right! I used powdered milk to make it, so I figure that now I have managed to make it, and it's turned out thick and creamy, it is going to save heaps of money. For a product so cheap to make they sure charge a lot for it in the store.

When I went to Asia last year on a long assignment, I had an official pull this thingie out of my suitcase. He said, "What's this?" I said, "It's a typical yogurt maker." He let me bring it into the country.

I used a purchased plain yoghurt as the starter. I think the home made yoghurt turned out better than the purchased one, as I thought the one I bought was a little runny. Thanks Mother, for the tips on sour cream and soft cheese. My next experiment is going to be making fetta cheese. My family consume vast amounts of fetta, we love it, but it too is expensive, especially our favourite, goat's milk fetta. Nearby where my children go to school is a goat milk farm, so I am going to buy some goat's milk and give it a go. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your comments.

Thanks for the info that I can get starter from Lehman's, Homey. I buy mine at a health food store about forty five minutes drive from me and they are often out of it when I want it. I'm not surprised that a customs official didn't know what a yogurt maker was but I had to laugh when I think of the strange look it must have gotten.

I've made a lot of different types of cheese, even goats milk cheeses but never made fetta. Let me know how it turns out Brendaoz. When you do start making cheese, don't forget that you can use the whey to make ricotta cheese with. It doesn't give you a lot but it's really great. It's just a matter of heating the whey, without stirring, to the point where you have foam on the top, then turning it off and letting it set to cool. Strain the curd out of the whey and that is your cheese. I get about a cup from a gallon so it's not prolific that way but so tasty. And you can STILL use the leftover whey or give it to animals.

Here's my yogurt making technique.

I use stainless steel or enamelware to make my yogurt in. As I make several types of cultured dairy products, like sour cream, and cheeses of different types, I make sure that everything that my yogurt is going to come in contact with is clean and sanitized so that no stray unwanted bacteria or culture will invade it. There's nothing worse than expecting yogurt and getting a sour cream cross instead

I use the method outlined here: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Chees.../YOGURT2000.htm

About as drop dead simple as it gets and I've never had a failure. He cultures at the top end of the temperature range which I believe makes it harder for unwanted organisms to spoil the yogurt.

I only use dry milk for yogurt making and I always mix it to double strength for a thicker set. Added cream, canned cream works, really improves the richness if you want it.

.....Alan.

I love Frank's site. All of his instructions are very easy to follow. His cheese making instructions are great.

Mother

Yesterday I tried making your yogurt recipe in my thermos and it came out great!

We had it with some fresh fruit at breakfast this morning - delish. Thanks so much for the instructions.

• 3 weeks later...

I totally agree. There's nothing more satisfying than "did it myself" and I have a question.

I tried making yougrt last week from vaguely remembered instructions and my own brilliant idea.

I used a pint of heavy cream and 2 tabl of store bought yogurt. They didn't have any small plain, so I used a vanilla flavored one. (Did not want to waste money if it didn't turn out.)

So, I mixed it and put in my unlit oven overnight. The next day I had this very thick, creamy product which everyone enjoyed. It wasn't as tart as the regular.

What in the world did I make?

Archived