MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Fully Cooked Ham

Synn

Sure! Cut it into cubes, chunks, or small thin slices, fill your jars, add ham base broth, vegetable broth or chicken broth, and follow your canners instructions.

No & yes....

No, it won't be mushy and yes, you have to can quarts for 90 minutes. Pints are 75 minutes.

OH! whatever you do, don't add salt!!!! :o

I've canned it before but I add water to it instead of broth so it's not so salty when opened. Tasted just like canned ham!

It depends on how you're going to use it, but yes, I think pints are probably the best size, unless you have a really big family!

Don't worry, it's not hard at all. The most time consuming thing is cutting it up the way you want it.

BTW, don't throw away those ham bones until you've wrung every possible drop of flavor out of them!

Put them in a large pot with a couple of onions, carrots & celery chunks or whatever else you have, and make some broth. Can it in pints, just like it was meat, and you'll have soup base.

Did you know... I used to be called 'The Cowardly Canner'? It was a part of my signature here, years ago.

I'm no longer afraid of my canner...

:)

For sure I agree with Nana, pints. You can always open 2 of them, but if you have it in quarts, and only need a small amount it is better that way.

I remember, Nana, isn't it great that you are no longer afraid to can.

I had never canned meat until 1999 and then I canned a lot of it.

Good luck, Buttercup, just follow the directions in the 'Ball Blue Book'.

There are only two of us here to can for now and I can a lot of meat in half pint jars too but normally use wide mouth pints. But if you have a big family there's no reason not to can it in quarts if you can use the contents within a couple of days. I've even canned it in quart and a half jars for bigger crowds.

Nana's right about not wasting the bone if the ham has one. That makes the best stock for all sorts of things. Good thinking Nana.

Buttercup, you go girl!

I got 6 bushels of corn on the cob and 6 bushels of greenbeans to can today...I haven't started, but will work on those tomorrow...

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Quote:

I got 6 bushels of corn on the cob and 6 bushels of greenbeans to can today...I haven't started, but will work on those tomorrow...

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Holy Crud! What I wouldn't give for fresh corn and greenbeans right now...

I always buy a ham that is too big for us. I bake it and have it for supper and refrigerate the leftovers until tommorrow. I cut it up while I am preparing the broth, sort of like above, I buy ham hocks, add water, celery, onion, carrots, potatoes, garlic, cover it all with water, add some spices...sage, bay leaves, thyme, whatever you like. When that cooked, strain and use it to cover the ham that you have placed in your jars. I use wide mouth pints for a family of four and that works out great. I pressure cook it at 15#s of pressure for 60 minutes...that's what we did on the farm and that's what I still do with everything except veges.

Archived