MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning butter

nativeMama

Well, there are people who do can butter, and other dairy products, and you'll probably get a bunch of different answers but, from the very beginning of this website, it has been the policy not to endorse canning dairy products.

The FDA says it is unsafe, and we were privileged to have a master canner as a member of our board for many years, who helped us wade through the do's and don't's of canning. She always said it was an 'at your own risk' proposition.

You have to do what you feel is right for yourself and your family but, you won't get a lot of response from the oldtimers about it 'cause we got smacked around for even thinkin' about it!

MHS4

i have read the canning butter, place butter in canning jar, place in oven, melt... let set and shake to keep mixed.. lasts 3 years on shelf...

well I have a hard time believing this and here is why...

Butter sitting out on my counter will go rancid in a matter of a few months.. tested this out myself I did!

So how can taking butter and changing its form from a stick to fitting into a jar make it not go rancid? it is the fat/oil in the butter that goes rancid.

I just don't know how it works.

However, there is hope!!! do some research on Ghee. Ghee is commercially canned butter with the fat soilds removed. It is essentially butter! the nice thing about Ghee is it never has to be refrigerated, doesn't go bad, and since there is no fat in it.. it burns at a much higher heat.

I use Ghee in all my middle eastern cooking. Can you make it yourself.. sure. Just be sure you purchase NO Salt butter!

But remember... this site does not agree with any canning of dairy..

I can ghee, goats milk, dry eggs and powder.. I do everything I am not supposed to do. *shrug* and now I will duck and run for cover before Darlene and Nana gets a chance to yell at me!

Oh and one more thing.. canning cheese? buy Cheese Whiz! so much easier. yb624.gif

Nana, you are 100% right, or rather you are right about NOT canning butter. (I'm not sure about the rest of it but it made sense to me once I reread it twice

• 1 year later...

I do it. There are four different ways to go about it.

Simmer it til the water had boiled off, then put it into jars and shake while cooling to mix the solids.

Simmer it til the water has boiled off, then strain it through a teeshirt to take out the solids.

Make ghee, which is like the strained teeshirt way but more cooked.

Pressure can it.

I give the first three methods a ten minute boiling water bath. Each way gives a different flavour and texture. It is nice to have butter in the preps.

Archived