MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Just used canner for the first time...

djmarch

It took a long time to cook and prepare the food for these 7 quarts of chicken soup,,, the soup looks kinda orange too, guess it's all the carrots I put in!! It was kinda scary at first because my family has always been so anti-canning,,,, but now that I have finally mastered it, and feel so happy that it(is quiet in the house again ) looks like it worked like it was supposed too, I feel I learned a few lil tricks in the process, and look forward to doing it again... I think I have about $8.00 or so in the 7 quarts of chicken soup, ( plus have about a meal's worth in the fridge) and feel like I have a good product for the money's worth, not to mention, I know there is a lot more meat in the jars, than you get in the cans from the store. So, I am thankful for all the "coaxing" here for learning to can, I have wanted to do this for 13 years or so, and am glad to finally do it!!!!

Oh wow moonie, that is SO EXCITING! I'm so proud of ya!

You go girl, and keep up the good work...before you know it, you'll be a canning fool like alot of us here...except, I'm always innocent!

Great going Moonstar. You will be a pro like Darlene soon and will be turning out 96 quarts in a day. Course we all know she is Innocent.

WONDERFUL!!!!!!

You've made healthier and better food than ANYTHING you can buy in the stores.

I grew up watching Mom can, and I was still nervous at first doing it by myself. For you to try it "cold turkey" is a very strong thing to accomplish.

May you build on this success and find yourself ever more triumphant!!!

Cat

Thank you much for the encouragement!! I knew that getting the canner, would help my food supply so much, not only is the quantity more per unit, but the quality is so much better, boosting my ability to put away larger amounts of meats expecially( for the same approx. cost)I still haven't put the jars away....... still on the kitchen counter..If you bought a jar of chicken soup, it certainly wouldn't have a cup of chicken meat in it,,,, my mom said, wow, looks like a substantial meal in those jars,,,,,,,

Archived