MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

If BF Goes H to H ,At What Point Will You Isolate Yourself?

moonstar

Was wondering what your thoughts are on this. If BF does mutate so it's H to H, will you isolate yourself and family when it's announced it has mutated in another country or will you wait until it is announced that someone in the US or Canada or country closer to us has come down with a H to H case?

DH and I were talking about it the other night also. I'm prepping as I go and doing what I can BUT when I hear it's mutated human to human, I don't care in what part of the world it happens, I'm going out immediately to get things, say like a couple of goats and billy for example, that will keep us going with milk and butter. Depending on what time of year it is I'd like to get a cow/calf or a bred cow or two. We have the grain, hay and pasture to take care of them but are old enough we'd just as soon NOT have to have them as long as the stores are open and going.

We have children living close so I figure if/when things happen WE will buy the livestock and THEY will take care of it.

That's a tough one, Waiting. Dh and I have certainly talked about it but I'm not sure we have made up our minds about it yet.

On one hand we don't want to have to isolate ourselves any early than necessary and use up what supplies we have too soon. On the other, we take a chance of meeting someone who is coming down with it but doesn't know it yet and is running around infecting everyone they meet.

We are like Wink and her DH. Though we already have a bred cow, due tomorrow, and her heifer from last year, we don't have any other animals besides some old ganders and some cats. We would like to be a bit free of them for a while if we can but would consider having milk animals and etc again also. We have the same situation where our kids live near us. DD lives only a half mile away and has sheep, horses, a heifer, a pig and would like to have a milk cow. I believe if we bought it they would take care of it. Neither of us has chickens any longer but I wouldn't mind some fresh eggs daily.

When we have our family/friends meeting on preparedness in three weeks, we will be discussing just this subject. It would be difficult for some of these people to just quit a job and stay home so we will be talking about prevention as being very important.

Great thought provoking question though.

I really think that depends on where it goes H to H. I will just have to play it by ear. I don't want to use up my preps any faster than I have to. I live on the I-5 cooridor though, so if it is in the US I would definately isolate since it would spread fastest on the highways and big cities.

Great question, Waiting.

My dh is planning on working at home and the moment he hears BF has gone H to H anywhere in the world he's coming home and that is when we begin quarantine.

In saying this I will also say that we are not quite ready yet, so I seriously hope we have a lot more time ahead of us before this thing goes nasty.

No. I take that back. I'm praying daily that BF fizzles into nothing. That's what I'd really like to see happen. I protest BF!

Guest Guest

Well, unless it's moving like wildfire- New York today, Oklahoma tomorrow- type of movement, I think I'd probably wait until it's at least in the next state. I think the worst thing I could do would be to panic.

I would definitely be more cautious once it reaches our shores, no matter where it lands but, I have to believe that once it goes H2H, that at least WHO will be on top of it.

This is how I feel right now, I have no idea what I will feel when supposition becomes reality. I'd like to think I'll keep my wits about me, no matter what.

NO! Not Oklahoma tomorrow ! sigh, I know that really could happen. I am outside of any large cities and it's pretty rural here, so I probably wouldn't quarantine until I saw it come into the US and then really start hearing my direction. I would just use that time to stock up on anything else that I could get my hands on. Luckily I do work from home, but DH doesn't and there's really no way he can. So he would keep going to work until the last second possible, and pray for the best...

We've decided to stay home when it is announced that it's H2H overseas. We're in a rural area but a main highway is close by and many tourist travel through. And, this being a state that many people come into from all over the world, is another reason be will isolate ourselves when announced.

Travel by air is quick and someone could bring it in without even knowing they were infected yet. As far as supplies, we aren't nearly ready and if it comes to the point that hunkering down becomes a necessity before we are prepared, then at that time we will start rationing what we do have so it will last longer. Starting a dandelion bed (I know, everybody wants to get rid of them) so we have some healthy dandelions for salads, cooked veg., and coffee, if it runs out. (By the way, DH is picky about coffee, but I made some from dandelion roots and he liked it ok.)

I just wish all this would blow over and things can get back to normal, at least some resemblance of normal. I'm tired emotionally and physically and probably a lot of us are, but we must carry on the best we can.

Planting a dandelion bed!! That's a wonderful idea! (And something that can be done without an awful lot of work since dandelions grow from thin air! )

If BF goes H-to-H I think we have to assume it could spread like wildfire through the airline system. If it doesn't we'll know soon enough.

I saw a program the other night where they shared what major airports (like the one in Hawaii) plan to do if a stewardess suspects a passenger is sick. They've been trained on what to look for now.

They notify someone in authority who then notifies the CDC. When the plane lands a physician in a biohazard suit boards the plane and takes the sick passenger down a special ramp into a pressurized room where he is checked out.

The rest of the passengers deboard and sit in a special isolated waiting area for as long as 6 hours waiting for the test results on the sick passenger.

That's how serious this is. I can't imagine being on a plane and seeing someone in a biohazard suit come in to take a sick passenger away. On the program they said someone with an illness spreads it 7 rows in front and 5 rows back.

Waiting, you posted a piece where experts are now thinking BF goes so deep in the lungs that it may not spread quickly as a result. While that fact makes BF more serious, it also could end up being a positive in terms of spreading more slowly. That's what I'm hoping for and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. But assuming the best is not an option for me until definite news comes in saying it's not spreading quickly.

The real rub is that if we ever hear that BF has gone H-to-H then we can be confident that it happened at least two days earlier. Because symptoms don't show up immediately. People are contagious at least 2 days prior to showing symptoms if I remember correctly. And who knows where they've been in the meantime.....

Pro 22:3 A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth

himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.

I guess that's God's prescription for quarantine.

Archived