MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

mixed feelings...ramblings

nativeMama

Things seem a little wierd today for some odd reason.

I find myself alternating between "we are all gonna die" and "it's not going to be to bad" lately.

One day I will worry myself about hubby going to work (in a hospital fixing medical equipment) and bringing the virus home. Then the next day I figure that it's gonna take more than whatever virus he might bring home on his cloths to make anyone sick, and as long as he has a mask and gloves on at work he/we should be fine.

I suppose that no body really knows how bad it will be, or how much virus it will take to accually make someone sick. Hopefully it will take alot.

I wish I didn't have to worry about hubby going to work. I wish he could just stay home and we wouldn't have to worry about losing the house if we couldn't pay the mortage. But we can't do that.

So today I bought a 3M half face respirator and 40 sets of filters. 3M said that one set of filters ought to last 8 hours, but they should be changed when it becomes difficult to inhale. I'm hopeing that these 40 filters will last him 8 weeks (5 days a week) and through the first wave. If the wave last longer than that, or if the filters fail to last 8 hours, I don't know what we will do. I just hope that the $100 I spent on the mask and filters turns out to be a HUGE waste of money.

I have those we're gonna die/no, it's ok feelings too. I felt ok going to that concert in Seattle Wed, and in the middle of it, I thought, what if one of these 300 hundred people here had an illness, and we all got it, gosh, how fast it would be spread all over, and that would just be from a pretty small group of people....makes me not want to leave my house already. (especially after the other day when I was with Beth, and we stopped at McDonald's, I had touched the door handle to get in and out, and when we got in the trick with the food, I used hand sanitizer before I even touched my food, I'm sure you all know the funny look I got from her!)

Guest Guest

ya go out to eat... you went into the restroom to wash your hands... you didn't touch the door knob to get out.. safe!!

you sit down and the waitress hands you a menu... you order.. and your fries comes... you pick them up with those same fingers holding that menu that I had touched before you got it.. coughed into my hands.. didn't wash my hands be after using the restroom ...

I carry a bottle of GERM-X and have a huge pump bottle in my bathroom to refill with.

Am I paranoid? S!!!!!

My 16 year old son commented that it won't be long before I'd be carrying a pump bottle of hand sanitizer on my belt to match my "anorak and bobble hat". That's how geeks are described, train spotters and twitchers and the like and that's unfortunately what we have to become to survive if this "thing" hits us.

Guest Guest

Mare, we have the same setups in some stores here and I love it! Now, people don't look at me quite so strangely when I wipe down a shopping cart before taking it inside the store. I still try to carry my own, though, just in case the rack is empty.

Hubby carried a huge bottle in his briefcase to work with

him. He said sometimes the men can act like boys when it

comes to using the bathroom. )

Preping is now my main focus. I look at a catalog and

what do I think about....How can I use this for preping.

Grubby- I had the same feeling a couple weeks ago, but afterwards felt silly, but it still bothers me.

My DD and I were loading pork that we butchered in my car at my grandpa's. She gave me a funny look and said-'Geesh-a bird just about pooped on my head.' I said 'What?' She was just standing there and said a bird pooped and it fell right in front of her. Well, I can't even explain the way I felt-scared? mad? PARANOID! I didn't want her to see how much it bothered me and scare her, so I just said-'Well, if ya don't want bird poo on your head, then don't stand under the tree.' So, we were standing there by my car and talking and all of a sudden-DRIP-right on my trunk. It was water. I almost started laughing. I said-'Look, Toots, it's just water dripping off the leaves.' But I still can't forget how I felt when I thought some d*** bird almost dropped poo on my DD.

Strangely enough, I had a similar thought. We have a small pond in the pasture directly in front of the house. Each year we've delighted in the canada geese and wood ducks and mallards that come to visit it in both the spring and fall. It's not big enough or secluded enough for any of them to want to nest on but they like landing and eating the lush pasture grass and pond weed that accumulates.

This year, as usual, we were delighted to hear the geese honking their way into a landing. We laughed at our three old ganders, all that's left of a bigger flock, wanting to get to the "intruders" to chase them away or perhaps even to hob nob WITH them. But setting there, contentedly on our glassed in front porch, watching the antics I was suddenlly taken with a cold feeling in the pit of my stomach. I don't know why exactly as there is little danger of the bird flu this early, and the most it could do here is take three old ganders as we have no other poultry on the land now. We don't swim or fish in the pond though the cows do drink from it. It is spring fed and if we lose power we would be taking water from the spring. It's been piped for over 30 years but the pipe sticks right in the open for any bird to light on. It comes out of the ground only two or three hundred feet from the pond itself.

Logic tells me that we would not be harmed by just the flu coming in with wild birds. The BIRD FLU, not the H2H type. The country could lose massive amounts of poultry, the poultry industry could be hit very hard financially, the threat to back yard flocks and therefore incidentally to those handling them COULD be a problem, but not to me personally. Or at least I would hope not......Logic tells me that there are other serious threats out there, like living within close proximity to a nuclear station, bio-terrorism, and other zoonotic diseases (that is diseases that man can get from animals) there certainly are many. Wasting diseases in our venison is a real threat, scrapies in sheep and goats also. Tulerema in wild rabbits, west nile, Lyme disease (I've already had that but am not ammune to having it again, or perhaps even YET). Tornados are a very real threat at this time of year......

Still, the dread was there when I realized that wild birds inhabited our pond on a regular basis and that hundreds of them inhabit the low land waters not a half mile from our home. Chilling in it's intensity. Where is the logic?

Archived