MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning recipes prior to 1988

FURRY

I have read in numerous sources that you should not use canning recipes that were written prior to 1988. Is that true? And if it is true is there something a person can do to adapt an older recipe?

Thanks,

Missie

From http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2005/08...ures/food01.txt

"it is very important for people to discard old canning recipes if they were written prior to 1988"

From http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/canning/in...HPSESSID=6d4888

"Canning information published prior to 1988 may be incorrect and could pose a serious health risk."

From http://www.canningpantry.com/usbowaca.html

"To ensure the safety of food processed the boiling water bath method, use scientifically-tested recipes (dated 1988 or later) to prepare the produce and adjust the processing."

There are many other sites that say the same.

What do you think?

Missie

It's tomatoes.

"All fresh vegetables except for most tomatoes are low-acid foods. Most mixtures of low-acid and acid foods also are low-acid products unless their recipes include enough lemon juice, citric acid or vinegar to make them acid foods. Other low-acid foods are red meats, seafood, poultry and milk."

This is where I first got the information:

Food Storage for the Clueless

Co-authored with Clark Kidd

Published by: Deseret Book

First pub.: 2000

Genre: Non-fiction

Do you know that all canning recipes created before 1988 should be thrown away? Do you know that even though honey can kill toddlers, virtually every other food storage book recommends you store honey for babies as well as adults? Do you know theres a good chance that many of your family members would not be able to digest wheat products even under desperate circumstances? Food Storage for the Clueless is the only book on the market that contains this vital information.

This comprehensive and fun book starts off at square one and takes the reader through every step of becoming a food storage expert. It teaches readers how to preserve foods by canning, freezing, and drying -- or how to accumulate food storage without doing any of these things. Even more important, it teaches readers how to break wasteful habits and design a practical food storage program that works for their family. In fact, this is the only food storage program in existence that demands the inclusion of comfort foods such as chocolate in your food storage inventory.

This humorous and informative book also tells readers all the things not to do if they want a successful food storage program. In addition, it includes recipes that are so tempting readers will want to try them immediately -- and so easy that success will occur on the first attempt. Between the covers of this book is all the information needed to become a food storage professional.

Available from Deseret Book

Missie

I guess we should all look at our food storage and make

sure we have plenty of variety!

"Children and elderly and variety: Research and experience has shown that children and seniors tend to be particular eaters when it comes to food storage. Results show that they would rather starve than eat foods they dislike or have had over and over. In the book “Food Storage for the Clueless” (Which is a very good read, and I‘ve seen this referenced in other books, too) it states (p28):

“ During World War II, some anonymous “they” did a study of the psychological effects of food during times of stress. What they learned was a real shocker. People who are under stress will often die rather than eat foods they aren’t accustomed to eating. Unfamiliar food can be the last straw in a human system that is already overburdened with trauma. If people have to endure horrible situations, some of them can survive only if they can continue to derive comfort from eating. If even this comfort is deprived them,

they’re likely to curl up into a ball and just give up…..Even if your family is initially excited about the siege food you have socked away in the basement, they’re going to be considerably less excited once appetite fatigue sets in. Eventually, unless you’ve developed an

extremely versatile repertoire of recipes from your siege food, your family members may draw the line and refuse to eat another bean or another grain of wheat.”

Just think about that -- you could have a house full of food, but you’d watch your family starve. That is a horrific thought. Planning is so very important. Variety is vital -- and familiarity for these two age groups being stored for is equally important. Rotating in your food and

developing a taste for it IS important, as you can see, for more reasons than spoilage and waste!!"

Missie-

It's like what Westie said-they are talking about tomatoes and acid foods and using a water bath canner.

Prior to 1988, what I call 'open kettle processing'(OKP) was the norm for alot of these foods: pickles, tomatoes, jelly and jam, sauerkraut, etc. This is where you heat the product to be canned to boiling, ladle it into jars, put on lids and rings and set the jar on the table and it will seal.

Well, this process is NOT recommended anymore. All high acid canned foods should be processed in a boiling water bath for the recommended times.

So IMHO the recipe I use to make bread and butter pickles is still a good recipe (it is my grandmothers), but instead of hot packing and OKP, I process my pickles in a hot water bath.

Actually learned this lesson in the '90s with tomatoes. Canned ALOT of tomatoes using OKP and nearly all of them didn't seal. Had to do the whole batch over in a hot water bath and they sealed. I think there has been a big focus on tomatoes and acid levels-the older heirloom varieties had higher acid content than the newer (easier to ship) varieties, so more care has to be given in canning them. Hot water bath canning is very easy, though, and you may as well do it right the first time-it saves alot of time and money in the long run.

BTW-honey should NOT be given to children under 2. If I remember correctly it has a natural bacteria (?) in it that can cause infant botulism. Can't remember exactly when this was discovered, but I believe it was fairly recent as time goes.

Hope this helps.

Hey, guys, if I'm wrong about any of this, for gosh sakes, hurry up, CORRECT ME!

• DO NOT add honey to your baby's food, water or formula.

• DO NOT dip your baby's pacifier in honey.

• DO NOT give your baby honey as medicine

Honey can contain bacterial spores that cause Infant Botulism-a rare but very serious disease affecting the nervous system that only young babies can get. Scientists don't know why, but this disease has never been reported in a baby older than 11 months of age. More than 1000 cases have been reported since it was recognized in 1976. Over 20% of the babies who developed the disease had been fed honey.

The following associations have all warned against feeding honey to infants younger than one year of age:

• The American Academy of Pediatrics

• The Centers for Disease Control

• The Food and Drug Administration

• The California Department of Health Services

• The California Honey Advisory Board

• The Sioux Honey Association

There is no problem whatsoever with adults and children over the age of one eating honey!

*pasted from web.. was wondering on my own about adjustments for premie babies. sometimes that is taken into account when determining age for certain things.. best to ask physician*

Well, that's good to know because I am definitely interested in canning one of these days and I collect vintage cookbooks and would want to try out some vintage recipes.

My mom used to can bread and butter pickles and they were always my fave.

Here is an interesting thing. We didn't refrigerate some things like we do now. We kept Mom's homemade pickles and jam in the pantry even after they were open... mustard, butter, and parmesan cheese too. We never had any adverse effects, but I keep all these things in the fridge now!

Missie

The USDA has information on their web site or you can find it here.

http://www.fcs.uga.edu/pubs/current/FDNS-E-39.html

It is not just the old water bath recipes that are the problem but some of the older pressure canning timing and recipes are not safe, so they say. Unless you are in an emergency situation, I'd follow the USDA guidelines, when possible, to be safe.

Guest Guest

My mother did a lot of canning that I can rember in the late '40's and 50's, can't help but wonder how any of us survived. Oh well that was then this is now, those writting the books today know better.

Guest Guest

Your mother was an experienced canner, and she knew how to tell if food didn't "look right" or smell right. She was taught by experienced canners, and could probably ask for experienced help if she needed a new recipe, etc.

Today's canners often have very few experienced canners to learn from. They take it on to learn by themselves. Many are also struggling with actually cooking "from scratch"!

The government tries to "idiot-proof" everything, which I guess I can understand. When people buy hybred vegetables, it's hard to know, for example, that the acidity in tomatoes has changed over the years.

Didn't know your Mom was such an intelligent woman, did ya?? ;)

Cat

Archived