MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ok, so what am I supposed to be freezing?

The main reason my mom always had us drop things like pasta, flours, meals (corn, barley, etc), beans is simply to kill any tiny critters that might have wandered into the less then secure cardboard boxes. Its just habit these days when I get barley and the like to drop the box (if paper based - drop the box into a plastic bag first so things don't get wet) into the freezer for a few days. Pancake, cake, and other baking mixes can also benefit from a quick ice dump.

No likes to think about it, but bugs are a part of life. While packaging companies would hardly like to admit it, most grain and other agricultural products come into contact with various critters. You might not see them at first, but eggs hatch eventually and then your food is spoiled. So... deep freeze them and kill them off.

I currently am battling bugs that have infested my flour based products like flours, pastas, etc. I've started to remove them from my cupboards and am keeping it in the freezer till I eliminate the problem.

Things that can easily become infested are flour, cereal, dry pasta, dry pet food, powdered milk, corn starch, crackers, spices, sugar, breads, bird seed, dry beans, dried nuts and fruit. Most of these can be stored in the freezer for a week or two, removed, brought back to room temperature to see if any eggs hatch, then placed back into freezer for another week or two.

Anyway, that's the guidelines that I've heard others mention...I'm just keeping my stuff in the freezer for now, cause getting rid of these things once you have them is a PITA.

One option is to vac/seal EVERYTHING. No air.... no bugs. I got my food sealer a few weeks ago... and I love it. Hon and I are working out the kinks (he thinks he has found a cheaper way to supply us with bags, which admittedly can get pricy.) but it does seem to be another option to the whole bug issue if the freezer isn't a possibliy. Also... storing pasta in the original containers is never a really good idea. If there are no bugs in the pasta when you buy it... they can get into the lightly glued carboard boxes or eat their way with ease through the thin plastic.

Start looking for sturdier homes for the pasta. Tins that seal tight, glass canning jars with screw on lids, even tuperware that has a lock-tight lid. I talked to my mom this morning and she had a few other suggestions.

Now... her friend next door (a prepper also) seals her pasta and dry goods up tight with a piece of dry ice from the drugstore. (Working CAREFULLY. Its neat stuff, but never let it touch bare skin!) As the dry ice "melts" it creates a vaccum in the container- I'm told essentially burning up the oxygen inside. (Safe for people to eat later. But it kills off the critters.) She works from large batches to small - ie she has 1-2 gallon tins and containers that she places the pasta and other items in to store. From these she pulls out a smaller tin for the cupboards use, and reseals with a new chunk of dry ice.

Now mom buys those little dessicant bags that your get in purses and boxes that are used to suck up moisture and drops those into her storage tins. Deserts are also unhospitable for creepy crawlies in the cupboard.

Hope this helps.

My brother uses a LOT of Folgers coffee - he needs the pull tab lid. Are those "cannisters" any good for storing things? Maybe with plastic wrap on the "can" first to make the lid fit tighter?

Dora

Thanks for the tip. Would never have thought of newspapers. Think it would help if I put in a couple leaves of chocolate mint (bumper crop )

Something in the newspaper eliminates the smell in plasticware, like Tupperware. Crumple so there are air pockets.

I'm sure that you could try sealing things in those canisters, once the smell was out. I think I'd still use plastic bags inside, though. Maybe a round of duct tape to seal the lid?

Don't want coffee-flavored rice!!!

Especially since I am one of those weird people who will arm-wrestle for the privilege of opening the can (love the smell) but will NOT be drinking any (hate the taste).

Archived