MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

This weeks canning...

Darlene

Sorry to all that I didn't start my canning today...I've been in a funk because I have to get rid of my ladies so have been feeling kinda blue.

I'm gonna TRY to do it tomorrow as I look forward to the canning as much as y'all do.

Sorry about your ladies, Darlene. Don't people have more important things to worry about, but than something so silly!? Good grief.... It's not like you have a meth lab in you backyard! Why do people have to be so hurtful!?

I haven't canned this week. So tired!!!! I did freeze a bushel of green peppers last night and I fixed some " ready for the freezer" for my neighbor. I have two bushels of apples and a half bushel of green tomatoes, to do tomorrow...Like it or not! I also have green beans, ready to be picked, in the garden. My excuse is "it rained today!" Thank goodness!

Ok! I canned...Didn't want to, but...I did 23 quarts of apple pie filling this evening. My 15 year old son, peeled them all! We love the $20 apple peeler/slicer. I plan to do the same amount tomorrow...Then it's apple jelly and more applesauce.

Yes Genoa it gets gets allmost all the the peelings off you might have to do a little touch up with a pearing knife but it really works well and saves lots of time the slices are about 1/4 of inch thick I'd say, they it comes off a like a spiral or curly fry is the best way to discribe it. Some one give us one this year so it was the first time using it I love it. I was at a Apple place today and they have a price tag on that for $31.00 plus tax I thought was high I went to pamperd chef web sight and they had it for 28 something. I have seen them on shopgoodwill.com for 5.00 starting bid + postage should be about 1/2 price of new still that a little better. But I must admit nothing is better then a gift of someone getting rid of their canning stuff cuz they don't want to can anymore. We are in the middle of putting up apples now 2 half bushels,21 qts of sliced apples and 7qts of applesauce and 8qts of cranapple juice a hotwater bath canner full of peeled apples ready to make into sauce tomrrow and and the rest of the peelings and cores srapes are cooking down to put though the squeezo to make the rest in to juice. I don't think we wanta see another apple for a while. If you are going to do a lot of apples a peeler is the way to do it I am highly inpressed by it.

alldoneandreay

OK! I canned AGAIN today...BUT..Still didn't want to!!! I did another 24 quarts of apple pie filling and 12 quarts and 12 pints of green tomatoes. Thanks CAT! You are an angel!!

I went to Amish this morning. At the general store, I bought more Clear Jel, nutmeg, 2 dozen wide mouth jars for the green tomatoes, and a half bushel box of Roma tomatoes. I went to two produce stands and bought a 50 lb. bag of sweet onions for $14, another box of Roma tomatoes, a huge pie pumpkin, and a bag of pears. I moved on the Jam House. I bought 6 dozen quart and 6 dozen pint jars. They have those jars with the one piece lids. You can use the jars for pressure cooking, but the lids are only recommended for WB. They are only $4.25 a dozen, so I'm using these for my WB stuff and the Ball etc. for the pressure canning. The woman, that owns this shop was very nice and has a large family, as most Amish families do. She showed me where they make the jams. She told me, she could order 30 lbs. boxes of frozen fruit for me. I ordered a box of frozen strawberries today. That's what they use for all their strawberry jam, so I'm giving them a try! She told her husband I had a large family and he ran for his price list.I only paid $30 for the berries. Has anybody ever canned strawberry pie filling? Gotta recipe? If so, could I use these frozen berries?

Tomorrow, I go to the inf. disease doc. Probably won't get canning done, since we all have our piano lessons in the afternoon. I'm gonna get my hand smacked with the ruler...I just haven't felt like praciticing. By the time, I get my work done...I can't move!

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped at Dollar General Market, this evening, on the way home from picking more apples and getting our allergy shots. I was really thinking, some frozen pizza and a quiet night...NOT! They had boneless chicken breast, for 50 cents a pound. I bought about 150lbs. I took 20lbs. to my almost 70 year old, precious neighbor and she had her canner out, before I could say goodbye. She called later, after she had them all in the canner and she had 15 pints. I threw scraps to my chicks and started canning chicken breasts. It is 2:30am and I just turned the canners off. Four loads and I have 33 quarts and 12 pints. The first 20 all sealed, now I have to wait for the canners to cool and see if the rest did. Whewwww!!! What a mess chicken is, but now, I have all this lovely, cooked chicken...ready for dinnertime. I have another 40 lbs. I froze. I also have five bushels of apples to make into applesauce We picked again today and will go again tomorrow. We have been helping a widowed woman, pick apples for her apple stand. She sells homemade, little apple pies. She is letting me pick apples for my family, for $5 a bushel. I am worn out!!!!! BUT...These chicks will be eating well!

Well! Just when I was plain sick of chicken... This morning I ran back to DG's to pick some more up for some friends. They were out of chicken...BUT...Not hamburger for 75 cents a lb. No one was looking, so I cleaned them out. I bought 112 lbs. of hamburger. I slipped 10 lbs., into my sweet neighbor's freezer, for her to can and threw 30 lbs. in one of my freezers. I took 40lbs and browned half of it with onions/garlic for casseroles and I did the other half with taco seasoning/onions for Mexican meals. I got 21 pints and 19 quarts out of this. I took another 30 lbs. and made it into meatballs. I have 19 quarts of these. I am going to make chili, out of the frozen ground beef...BUT...Not tonight! I am so worn out. I just emptied the canner for the last time tonight....this morning! Tomorrow, when I am plain tired of ground beef, I'll run back to DG's to see if they have anymore for a couple of friends......Maybe, I'll come back with some...PORK???

I started chicken soup makins' last night. I put 20 lbs of chicken leg quarters in my electric roaster along with the veggies and such, and used it as a slow cooker. When I woke up this morning, it was done! I've removed the chicken from the pot, now I'll strain the broth, add water and more spices, and put the broth on the stove.

Then I need to start chopping veggies for the soup. By tonight, I should have at least 14 quarts of soup, and 12 pints of broth. Any left after that will be cooked down for stock.

I'll come back later and let you know how much I was able to get canned.

Archived