MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

coffee pot

okay it was cheap and I bought it. Its a Revere coffee pot that you put on the stove. It's never been used but it has no instructions. Does anyone know how to use one of these non-electric gadgets?

I accidently tossed it in a box that went to the farm but I can go and dig it out in a couple of days if having it here will help. Right now y boxes are buried behind bags of rolled up old carpet and I can't get to them. The house is a MESS!!!!

Thanks!

If it is a regular perculator, you just take out the basket and stem, put in the water, replace the stem and basket, put in the grounds (use a filter if you want to), put on the lid, turn the stove on to high until it starts to perc, then turn it down so that the percolation is slow and steady. Brew it until it looks like coffee. You can watch the coffee perc up into the glass bubble in the lid and when it looks dark enough, try a sample. If it's not ready, let it go a few more minutes. If it's too strong, add some hot water and don't cook it as long next time. Pretty soon you will have a feel for how long it takes to brew a good pot of coffee.

If it's not a percolater pot, there are several ways to just cook the coffee grounds into drinkable coffee over an open fire or on the stove.

It's usually referred to as "camp coffee", when I see it.

~~~~~~~~~

camp coffee - Place enough coffee into a pot of cold water. Place the pot on the stove or campfire. When steam rises from the coffee pot, the coffee is hot and ready. Methods to remove the coffee grounds include wrapping the coffee in cheesecloth, dropping a raw egg in the coffee pot just before it's ready to drink (the cooked egg collects all the grounds), pouring a cup of cold water in the coffee pot (this causes the grounds to fall to the bottom of the pot so you can pour the hot coffee off the top).

http://camping.about.com/od/glossaryofcamp...ms/g/gt0013.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COWBOY COFFEE

Method: Remove boiling water from heat and add ground coffee. Let sit until grounds sink to the bottom, then carefully scoop out coffee with a dipper and pour in your cup. A steady hand can keep from stirring up the grounds, which I can assure you - you do NOT want in your cup. Variations: adding a spot of cold fresh water to the sitting pot helps the grinds sink faster, as does tapping the side of the pot with a spoon.

Taste: Pretty good, considering the low-tech brewing method.

Pros: A good method for serving multiple people at once, if you have a large enough saucepan or kettle.

Cons: Long wait time for the grounds to sink. Messy to clean up. Very easy to get a mouthful of grounds. There's also a lot of wasted coffee in the bottom of the pot.

CAMP-STYLE PERCOLATOR

Method: Add grounds to top chamber and fill pot with water. Place directly on stove or campfire.

Taste: Like boiled coffee grounds.

Pros: Has that cool, boy scout camp thing going for it. Also you can let it do its thing without needing to pay much attention.

Cons: Messy to clean. Often gets clogged and refuses to brew at all.

COFFEE BREWING BAGS

Method: Place bag in mug and add hot water. Some larger bags can sit in a community pot for multiple cups' worth. Folgers makes a popular line of coffee bags.

Taste: Generally bland as cardboard, but it's so easy to brew that you won't care. There are flavored versions with stronger tastes if you look for them.

Pros: Easy, no mess.

Cons: Uninspired taste.

MELITA ON A MUG

Method: Uses a small plastic filter cup and triangular coffee filters. Pour a scoop of grounds into the filter, place over your camp mug and pass hot water from the top so it travels through the coffee and into your mug. Just like drip coffee without the electricity.

Taste: Tastes like a decent cup of coffee!

Pros: My personal favorite method. A lightweight plastic filter cup and reusable cloth filter takes up minimal room, and the taste you get is of real coffee (unlike the tea bag coffee method). Since you are not filling a saucepan with grounds (only with water), you can also keep cooking. Remove the water you need for the coffee, and use the remaining hot water for boiling pasta or cooking chicken noodle soup.

Cons: Since it only works a cup a time, it's slow for more than one person, plus you need to change the grounds for each cup. Disposable Melita filters are east to clean up, but going for the reusable cloth or gold filter makes for messy cleanup.

FRENCH PRESS

I have friends that so desire decent coffee in the field that they consider this a realistic option. Now that camping supply stores have responded by producing plastic-walled presses, I agree that it may be viable.

Method: Boil water. Add grounds to your clean press, add hot water and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Use the plunger to sweep grounds to bottom of press and pour coffee into mugs.

Taste: A great cup of joe.

Pros: Tastes great, looks classy.

Cons: Very messy cleanup. Coffee in resevoir doesn't stay warm for subsequent cups. Bulky item for a pack, not bad for car camping. Try to find a plastic model, or do like my friend Scott, who wraps his glass press in a towel.

COFFEE SOCK

Method: While I believe actual socks were once used, now you can buy little sacks with drawstring closures for this purpose. Add coffee to "sock", place in a mug of hot water and steep.

Taste: Insipid.

Pros: Lightweight. Easy. Low-tech.

Cons: Messy to get the grounds out of the sock. (Better to just use the Folgers Coffee Bags.)

MISC COFFEE IDEAS

If you're not doggedly determined to brew actual coffee, there are other options. Instant coffee is palatable to many folks. Place some in a ziplock bag and simply stir into hot water. Or try the General Foods International Coffee blends. These are usually sweet and come in dozens of tasty flavors. While these aren't anything like black coffee, the latte crowd will cheer. Brew just like instant coffee.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/Southw...0Outdoors/80582

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope this helps!

We have a percolator, and I wanted to add that perked coffee doesn't seem to be as dark in color as auto-drip coffee (to me, it looks like dark tea).

You'll love the taste of perked coffee! It tastes so much better than drip coffee, IMHO. We gave our auto-drip coffee maker away after we got our percolator

Shawna

Quote:
lol Shawna.. I dont know what Im doing wrong then cause ours turns out so dark and strong that it could probibly walk around on its own!

LOL, who says that's wrong??
Shawna

Archived