MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chili!

I've been cooking all weekend! Helped cook a feast for about 130 people over a campfire on Saturday, then made chili yesterday for me and my guy.

Random questions on chili: Does anyone actually follow a recipe? Is there something odd that you always add to it? Do you serve it in an unusual way? I put a piece of bread in the bottom of my bowl since I'm out of crackers and didn't feel like making cornbread. There's no smily for stirring a big pot?

Tonight I have to do .

my favorite left over chili recipes are :

layer dip

leftover chili in thebottom of a pan, sour cream in the middle, and cheddar cheese on top, melted in the over, and dip your nacho chips. i think that jalapeno jelly would a be a good addition to this layer dip, although i have not made any yet.

and, put leftover chili in side your grilled cheese sandwhich. its a little harder to flip over in the pan, but well worth the extra effort! i do this to my leftover spaghetti sauce as well.

in answer to the main question, no, i do not follow a recipe. any recipe, i just adjust my recipe totase, it has evolved ovwer about 10 years, and has been influenced by about 4 different cooks as various techniques are learned or discarded. no one dislilked my chili. i love to serve it in a bread bowl, that is the best!

Chili is yummy!

My dh insists on a bowl full of crushed saltine crackers under his chili.

I like chili pies! fritos on the bottom then chili topped with cheese and chopped onion....my mouth is watering now.

As to recipe....now I guess not. I like to add chopped onions and bellpeppers to my meat mixture and of course you use chili powder along with other seasonings. I actually start by cooking a big crock pot of small red beans, as I like beans in my chili.

Stephanie

We had chili last night, I don't follow a real recipe either. I do add celery to my hamburger and onions when I fry them up and I also add 1T. unsweetened cocoa to my chili. You don't taste the chocolate, but it does add favor.

Spaghetti noodles with chili is just...wrong!

What does the celery do? I notice lots of the recipes have it in them.

I've heard of adding peanut butter to chili (something about the depth of the flavor), but not cocoa.

Have heard of speghetti in chili, but never had it that way-don't know why ???-sounds --GIVE ME MORE!!

Archived