MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

self-cleaning?

okay, I'm looking at the oven at the farm and I see the words Slef cleaning. Hmmmm....and there's a place ont he dial for that! So what do I do? It's a Kenmore electric range. Do I turn the oven on to the self clean setting and leave it for __ hours? I know - odd question but I don't have a manual and I've never had an oven that was self cleaning! Do I take the foil out of the bottom of the oven before I have it clean itself? Self clean - pretty niffty! Thanks everyone!

Most of the self-cleaning ovens have a cycle they'll run through, then unlock when they're done. Do it on a day when you can keep the windows open, 'cause they can STINK when they're running. As for the foil in the bottom...no clue.

Be sure to remove the foil. My oven says to never put foil in the bottom anyway. You may want to call Sears and ask them. If you leave the foil when using the self cleaning feature, it will melt on there. I forget how many degrees it gets, something crazy, like 700 and something, I think.

I agree, open the windows ! It does stink.

Mine has a place where you can change how long you want the self cleaning cycle to last. It does take several hours, so you can't be in a hurry. It won't open until it is cooled down.

Thankyou everyone! It gets so hot it locks?! That is wierd!

Can you still use the spray on cleaner instead in these ovens? Since I'venever used the oven to cook anything in I'm not sure how well it behaves! I think I'll clean the old way and then try the self clean when I feel brave (and have a manual for it). It has all kinds of buttons on the top (timer, and some others I didn't read). There's a littlel LED panel too. I hate being so dumb about an appliance!

Self cleaning is easy and much less hazardous than spray chemicals! If you need a manual, call sears and ask them for one. You might be able to find it online at sears' website too.

I just did mine yesterday and it's a cheap old Roper stove...

I checked with Sears, and you can buy a replacement owners manual. Call their 800# and go to the Parts department. You'll need the model# of your stove. I don't know the cost, but you do have to pay.

Mistylady, I have one kind of oven cleaner that says it is safe for self cleaning ovens, so check the labels on the cans.

Good luck to you. It is sort of intimidating the first time, but it is really nice. You just wipe out the gray ash left in the oven when it is done. Yes, it locks because it is so hot. Honest, it is something like 7-800 degrees in there while cleaning. Oh, and if you leave the racks in, they turn blue colored, and they stay that way forever. You may need to rub a dab of cooking oil on them to get them to slide again, too. So, it is up to you if you want to leave them in. I do, and just ignore the blueish color.

Otherwise, spray them with the oven cleaner and do them by hand. I had a Kenmore before this stove, sounds like the one I had.

Oh, Vic, Roper are nice stoves, they are also made by Kitchenaid, same as Whirlpool. All the same company. I had a Roper that lasted for years.

my new one is self cleaning. i have never used it before, thanks fot the heads up about the blueish racks! i better not screw up or im evicted. my landlady and i very much dislike each other.

Archived