MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pomegranate juice & flu study

Cat

I've signed up to participate in a local study to see if pomegranate juice helps protect against colds and/or the flu.

They could still reject me, I suppose, but this is what it says (identifying info removed):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Colleagues,

I have been asked to share this information with other educators by an acquaintance in the ***** office. Please read carefully and understand there is a commitment. They do have early morning and late afternoon office hours. They need a total of 70 participants. This office is related to and involved with medical research trials.

***** is involved in a program to evaluate pomegranate extract (derived from the seeds of the pomegranate fruit) and how it might help protect against the common cold and flu. This all natural approach to the flu season is being studied as a possible alternative to the flu vaccine. Participants will be required to drink 2 ounces of pomegranate concentrate each day of the study. There are only 5 total face-to-face visits necessary.

For this study, we are targeting teachers, educators and child care professionals to participate. Participants will be compensated up to $415 for their participation and cannot have had the flu vaccine this year or plan to get it. Participants will come to **** across from **** Hospital for appointments.

Though formal ads will be all over town and in various publications, I was hoping you could share this with those you know who are in this targeted profession (between the ages of 21 and 49) and see if people are interested. We are starting the recruiting process this week – so any interested volunteers should call in the next two weeks. Take this notice with you so that they know how you found out about the trial.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I called, and they said they are taking a total of 120 people, and I'm #118. I told them I'll be 50 at the end of January, but they'll take me.

I don't like flu shots (never take them), and working with Kindergarteners sure does expose me to germs!!

Cat, I find this very interesting. I had not heard that this extract was being considered for a preventative. I know that it's been touted for a lot of different maladies though. I'd be very interested in hearing the final results when they are published. Like you, I won't take the vaccines and already this year have managed to have a cold 'catch' me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I took it faithfully for 8 days.

Should be getting a check this week for $125 for the first appointment (questioned, gave blood, and a little yellow liquid

• 4 weeks later...

i wonder how many pomegranates it would take to get a full 2 ounces of concentrated juice?? could you eat that mnay in a day? could you afford that many in a day! lol not an inexpensive fruit!

Archived