MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

got too much grease?

The hood on the stove is gross. I tried full strength viniger and it just laughed at me! It's so nasty! Any other ideas out there for that tough orange grease that wants to remain a part of the family?

Also the little filter thingy that hangs up there is nasty too. It looks like it will come off if I move the little black clip (has grease dripping of it). I sprayed it with viniger and it just dripped off and made a mess on the clean part of my stove - lesson learned! It's so gross!

I'm going to try the self clean feature next week when the weather is decent enough to open some windows! We had flurries this morning and its a toasty 35 outside right now! But next week they said it be nicer - of course they are usually wrong but I'm giving them the benifit of the doubt!

Thanks everyone!

MEAN GREEN! $5/gal at the dollar store.

Will clean ANYTHING! Well, anything I've ever tried it on-and that does include grease.

I have cleaned the range hood with baking soda for the last 5 years, and it actually worked better than anything else I tried, soda and grease make a crude soap so it is quite effective.

The filter is a permanent part of my hood and it does get gross, I mix a strong solution of dish soap and water and put it in a spray bottle and take it outside and spray it, the grease just runs off.

I have used hot soap water with mr clean in it and a green scrubby to get it off the side of the frig that is next to the stove. The filter on the hood sounds like mine that just snaps out I throw it in my dish washer with a load of dishes and it comes out really good no sweat on that. I know when I had to clean stoves from rental places I had to soak off the burnt spots with straigh ammonia that I would let sit and soak sometimes overnight but with some elbow grease it really cleans up good too. But that you have to do in the summer time with the windows open. I know my lungs can't hack that anymore now. Also a good way to clean your oven racks and grill rack is to spray them down with easy off really good and put them in a big dark plastic trash bag and set them outside in the sun on a hot day really makes clean up lot easier. I have even place my gas burner grids like that and it cleaned with up good. Hope that helps

I take my filter thing out and throw it in the sink and spray it real good with oven cleaner. It works very well with not to much effort, all you have to do is let it sit a while then rinse it off with hot water. And, Mean Green does work very well! I keep it here and use it for all sorts of things even laundry. My only complaint is how strong it smells, and if you get your nails done it will dissolve them (acrilic nails). I hope I spelled that rite. I don't get my nails done, but I had a friend that did and she was useing some mean green to clean her bathroom and noticed that all of the fake nails that she had put on were gone on the hand she was holding her rag in. I know those things are high to have done, so if you have them and are going to use mean green I suggest wearing rubber gloves. Other then that it is a VERY good cleaner.

Archived