MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I am officially a canner!

dogmom4

I did it! I bought a canner on Saturday and tried the whole grape juice recipe and it worked! Woohoo! I canned 6 quart jars for 45 minutes and all the jars pinged. Now mine didn't come out as dark as I thought they would...looks like white grape juice. The jars came out with a white film on them...we have very hard water. I remember seeing something about using vinegar..do I just put it in the boiling water or use it wipe the jars off after they come out? Also what ratio? Also, I noticed some of the sugar didn't dissolve on the bottom..should I have shaken it up first or can I shake it up now? I can't do a taste test for a couple more hours...but, if it tastes good I'm doing more. It was a lot easier than I thought. I've wanted to try canning for years but have been too chicken...afraid I was going to poison my family. But, I've been reading all of your canning posts and really wanted to try...so hopefully my first attempt will taste good.

Stacy

It is fun, isn't it ? I have been canning for 32 years now, still love the sound of the "ping".

The sugar will dissolve as the jars sit. Lte them sit for a couple days before you shake the jars.

You add a couple Tbsp. of white vinegar to the water in the canner to keep off the white film.

I am sure your grape juice will be wonderful !

how much vinegar? a glub! you know.. you tip the bottle up and hear glub.. thater doit! I add it to the water bath canner or pressure canner's water. Darlene wipes the jars down with vinegar after the fact. Either way... about a 'glub'.

makes note... add "glub" to the mesurement list.

We did an official taste test today. Had to water it down because it was a little too sweet. I used 1/2 cup sugar in the recipe, but I think the grapes were so sweet I probably could have just used 1/4 cup. Dh is funny...he insisted we all taste small drinks at first just in case...didn't want me to poison any of us.... he just doesn't know that this is just the beginning......

Stacy

Archived