MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Soup du Jour

Necie

I thought about posting this in the kitchen...but it really has nothing to do with the recipes (not to mention the fact that I don't use a 'recipe' for most soups anyhow). But more to do with the approach of storing ingredients vs. storing the finished product. Was also wondering what approach others here take and the whys?

I have been trying to figure out what my storage is lacking-so we've been making things-mostly from storage and I've been taking note of what I've been using that I don't have in storage. Soups seem to be a good measure of this.

Last week DBF made soup of some Mexican Pork that I'd canned-I had a couple quarts that didn't seal and he used one of those. So his recipe went something like this:

1 qt Mexican pork

1 qt tomato juice

1 qt potatoes

1 qt green beans

1 pt sweet corn

carrots

celery

onion

It was really good-(DBF and I finished off the whole pot in less than 2 days I store my beans dry--but am still debating weather to can some-would be less cooking time and H2O in a SHTF situation.

So does everyone else can things individually or as a meal. I was thinking it might be nice to have some where we could just heat up a quart for a real quick meal-but it wouldn't go very far-so don't know-- Still debating that, too.

i want to can whole meals, that way i open 2 jars of oh, say chili, warm it up and POOF you have a meal. that way you open 2 jars, instead of 12. especially if there is no electricity to kepp your leftovers cool. (of course in the winter you can just stick your leftovers outside ) i would do both though. can some things seprately, and can whole meals.

good idea about canning lots of bird now, before they all get sick. i hadnt acutally thought of that. (and it's so obvious! *slaps forhead* )

now i REALLY need a pressure canner!!!

This week I canned an 18 lb. Turkey made 7qts. of Turkey and 7 qts of broth. Sure was nice smell in the house and had a meal out of it also. Be easy to make turkey and dressing this summer with out heating the house up by using the crock pot.

Also canning also helped heat this cold house got good results from both. I do full meals and single jars.

Quote:
Canning chicken and turkey is just a good idea.

If/when Bird Flu hits the US, there will be millions of chickens killed to "contain" it. You won't be able to find it to buy.

Turkey, too.

Yet another reason to raise rabbits.

Archived