MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning etc with kidlets

MommyofSeven

We all know that canning is a lot of work, as is just about any method of food preservation. I'm all ready to put in that work, but...

How do you manage it with littles hanging around underfoot? I have a tiny kitchen, and I'll be nursing soon, but, like many of the rest of you, I feel the need to get really, really, really darn serious about preps, so I know I need to can to get that done.

I have bigger kids home on the weekends to help, but that limits shopping activities to find the best and freshest fruits and veggies. I'd have to do it Friday nights, and the Farmer's Market would be totally not an option if I could only can on weekends, cause it's a half day trip with the drive.

That is what I'll do if I have to, but I was hoping someone who'd experienced this could give me some good ideas. I don't have any neighbors or friends that I could trade off kidlet duty, either.

Ideas?

Mo7

I used to put the littlest ones in a playpen and give the bigger ones some crayons and a new coloring book (new being the key). That usually kept them busy while I prepped the food. If it didn't, I put in a video.

I did the actual canning while they took a nap. I had 5 kidlets under the age of 5 one year (ages newborn twins, 14 mos, 2 1/2, and just turned 4). Hubby was working 16 - 18 hour days, so I refused to ask him for help. It was hard, but it can be done.

Last summer I had a 2.5 year old and a 8 month old...I set the 2 year old up at the table with something fun (usually playdoh) and put the baby on my back in a baby carrier. This would get me through all the prep of whatever I was doing. For the actual loading/unloading of the canner, I put both girls into a bedroom with a bunch of toys while I ran into the kitchen for a few minutes.

This worked best for me in the morning, when both kids were rested and fed.

Hi Mommy7!

Well...I'm not the best example...BUT trying to do better. I was recently talking to one of my Mennonite friends and telling her my little 10 year old and I were up until 4am canning applesauce...She said WE usually start at 7AM...Well my day may start then...BUT....To find a safe time to do this, with some out of control boys flying around and zillions of doc. appts. therapies etc....I've got a new plan...I am going to do my prep, in the evening, throw the ingredients in the crockpots, and can in the early morning...Hopefully I won't get so worn down, nor my little helper. For my jams and jellies, I'll just get the fruit ready the night before and then throw them into separate containers for each batch, and can the next day. I am also thinking about WB outside, since I see so many doing this here. I have a small deck outside my kitchen. This way, I have it away from my chicks, plus the heat won't be in the kitchen.

Do you at least have a neighbor, that goes to the farmer's markets and could bring produce back for you? Maybe you could trade a few jars of your freshly canned goodies. I take my chicks everywhere with me and it is exhausting. I never get all my errands run, since I just wear thin...Then I have to go back again....I know what you are going through.. Also, You have a hugh family...Are there food banks nearby, that you could get extras from, that you could can?....Good Luck!

I second the suggestion about the backpack. My daughter was a preemie and still fit in the soft, no-frame carrier that could be worn on front or on back when she was a year old. I even wallpapered with her on my back. She loved being held close like that and I got a lot done that way. My son, on the other hand, hated being confined in a backpack, but he loved being in a stroller where he could look around and "see the action" (I just used one of the folding "umbrella strollers," well padded with blankets.

I also had to resort to the late-night (or sometimes all-night) canning sessions; but I only recommend this as a last resort. You can keep it up for a while, but it does take its toll. Plus, for me, I believe it contributed to really messing up my sleep-wake cycle.

I have done of my canning outside, either on the side burner on my grill, or on our coleman stove. It keeps me from heating the house, and the children can play outside while I'm doing it. When mine were still young enough for a playpen, I would bring it out and put it in the shade nearby.

Dawn

Archived