MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help! Need chickpea dried snack recipes!

I searched here for a year's timeframe but couldn't find any, but I know I saw these recipes in a forum, so I thought it was here...I need your favorite recipes for dried chickpea snacks. You know, where you take them, roll them in spices and bake them dry (using cooked ones to begin with). I'da sworn I saw those recipes here...

help...

--Vic

I'm sorry, that's one I don't think I've seen here. But are these close?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Roasted Garbanzo Beans

A great snack idea!

one can garbanzo beans

oil to coat

seasoning to taste

Rinse and drain a can of garbanzo beans.

Shake in a zipper bag with oil of your choice - I used grapeseed oil.

Lay out on a greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with Lowreys seasoned salt or sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

Bake at 400° for 25 minutes.

http://newdiets.com/Side_Dishes/Roasted_Garbanzos.shtml

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spicy Chickpea Snack Mix

From Every Day with Rachael Ray

June-July 2006

2 tablespoons curry powder

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 tablespoon coarse salt

2 (15-oz) cans chickpeas—drained, rinsed and drained again

Grated zest of 1 orange

1 cup golden raisins

Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, mix the curry powder with the brown sugar and salt. Add the chickpeas and toss well to coat. Bake the chickpeas on a parchment paper–lined baking sheet, stirring occasionally, until crunchy, about 60 minutes.

Remove the chickpeas from the oven and let cool, then toss with the orange zest and raisins.

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/27758

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SWEET BEAN SNACK MIX

2 cans (15 oz ea) garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed

Butter flavor cooking spray

1/2 c roasted pumpkin seeds

4 c toasted wheat, corn or rice squares cereal

2 c pretzel goldfish or pretzel sticks

1 pkg (8 oz) chopped mixed dried fruit (2 cups)

1 pkg (6 oz) dried pineapple chunks (1 cup)

1 Tbsp honey

1 T apple juice

4 t ground cinnamon

1 1/2 t ground nutmeg

1 t ground allspice

Dry garbanzo beans well on paper towel. Place beans in a large skillet and spray generously with cooking spray; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer beans to jelly roll pan and bake at 350° until browned and beginning to crisp on the outside, 20 to 25 minutes.

Transfer beans to large bowl; add cereal, pretzel sticks, dried fruit, pineapple chunks and pumpkin seeds. Combine honey, apple juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice; add to snack mixture and toss to coat well. Spray mixture generously with cooking spray and toss. Transfer mixture to roasting pan.

Bake snack mix at 350° for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Cool; store in airtight container at room temperature.

Makes 16 servings. (1/2 cup each)

http://www.kelleybean.com/pdf/cookbook/swe...n_snack_mix.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

chickpea-crunchies recipe

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 08:03:35 -0500

This weekend I checked out a book from the library called _High-Flavor

Low-Fat Vegetarian Cooking_ by Steven Raichlen which contains the roasted

garbanzo recipe Jaana asked for. (This book is not vlf by the standards of

this list, with most recipes calling for at least 1 tablespoon of oil, but

in most of them the oil is used to saute vegetables and probably easily

eliminated. The other ingredient choices are, in most cases, consistent

with fatfree guidelines. And the photographs are gorgeous.)

Chickpea Crunchies

2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained well and blotted dry

1/2 teaspoon each of the following seasonings:

salt (if you used canned beans reduce or eliminate the salt)

freshly ground black pepper

ground cumin

ground coriander

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

2. Toss the chickpeas with seasonings and spread on a nonstick baking

sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.

Makes about 1 1/4 cups (serves 4)

kwvegan vegan

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/snacks/chickpea-crunchies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Paul Prudhomme's book “Fork in the Road”.

Additional comments at the end.

Chickpea Snacks (Takes 2-3 days)

Ingredients for the seasoning mix

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons onion powder

2 teaspoons garlic powder

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon turmeric

3/4 teaspoon white pepper

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Combine all of the above in a small bowl.

Other ingredients

1 packet artificial sweetner (1-gram)

1/2 pound dried chickpeas

5 cups water

1 cup apple juice

1 cup vegetable stock

Combine 1 TABLESPOON ONLY of the seasoning mix with the artificial sweetener and set aside.

Place the chickpeas and water in a container, add the rest of the UNsweetened seasoning mix, and soak overnight in the refrigerator. The peas will be more than double in volume, so make sure the pot is big enough to hold them.

The next day:

Place chickpeas and the (seasoned) soaking water in a 5 quart pot over high heat. Add apple juice and cook 20 minutes. Add vegetable stock and cook until peas are just tender, 40 minutes. Remove from heat, drain peas in

colander, rinse well, and drain.

Sprinkle peas evenly with reserved sweetened seasoning mix.

Now you can cook them one of two ways.

1. Use a food dehydrator. Spread evenly around the trays and dehydrate until peas are dry and crunchy, about 20-22 hours.

2. Use an oven. Spread peas on cookie sheets or sheet pans and cook at 150 degrees until dry and crunchy, about 20-22 hours.

COMMENTS:

I didn't have white pepper so used 1 teaspoon black pepper total.

I tried this recipe both with and without the artificial sweetner and it's better *with* it. Regular sugar doesn't work at all.

Did not have a dehydrator, dryed them in the oven. It took 15 hours one time, 20 hours another. Must have been the number of times I opened the oven door. You have to move the pans from one shelf to another and turn them every couple of hours or they won't dry evenly. I did not stir the peas.

http://www.recipesource.com/munchies/snack...pea-snacks.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know if this is the same recipe (this is my first day here), but this is a Weight Watchers recipe...

Roasted Chickpeas

1 serving olive oil cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)

2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

1.Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.

2.Spread chickpeas on baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic powder and red pepper; toss to coat.

3.Roast on bottom rack of oven, shaking pan about every 15 minutes, until browned and crunchy, about 45 to 50 minutes. Cool before serving. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.

KADAMI ( ROASTED CHICK PEAS)

Preparation

Kadami is a great snacks, Kadami can be added to salads, steamed grains and stir fries for a welcome crunchy texture, on top of the added virtue of bean protein.

When thoroughly roasted the peas should taste cooked, nutty and potato-like, not raw.

Overcooked they become hard and burned.

Taste as you go to get the hang of it. Because the peas are slightly moist inside, any leftover should be stored refrigerated.

Direction:

Rinse dry chick peas and cover with water. Allow to soak overnight or at least 8 hours (see note). Drain peas.

STOVE TOP: Roast at medium low heat in a large skillet or home style coffee bean roaster, stirring constantly about 25 minutes for regular size chick peas, 15 to 20 minutes for the small ones.

OVEN: Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet and roast about 30 minutes at 350 degrees F for regular size chick peas, 20 minutes for the small ones. (I usually cover the pan with aluminum foil for the first 3/4 of the cooking time for either size of chick peas).

MICROWAVE: Put on microwave safe dish in a single layer. Microwave on high (100 percent power). Depending on size of chick peas and your oven, micro waving takes 2 to 6 minutes. Taste to check.

VARIATION: For flavored roasted chick pea snacks add salt or a small amount of any of the following mixtures to the hot roasted peas immediately upon removing them from heat. The flavoring liquid needs to be absorbed into, or dried onto the peas -- you don't want the peas sitting in a pool of liquid. Toss frequently as they cool and serve immediately, or refrigerate for later use.

1. Olive oil, garlic salt, black pepper and clipped rosemary leaves.

2. Soy sauce alone or mixed with Oriental (dark) sesame oil and hot chili powder.

3. Tomato juice and curry powder.

NOTE: When I prepare chick peas as though for sprouts (soak overnight, drain and let stand another 12 to 16 hours at room temperature) they are easier to digest than when they are only soaked.

Curry Roasted Chick Peas

Adapted from WeightWatchers.com

2 t. olive oil

2 t. curry powder [i used a hot ginger curry]

1 15 oz can chick peas, drained, rinsed, and dried

1 t. sea salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.

Heat olive oil in a skillet over low heat, and add curry powder. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until fragrant—about 30 seconds. Add the drained & dried chick peas and the salt, and stir to coat. Pour onto prepared baking sheet in a single layer and place on the middle rack of the oven. Roast for 30 minutes, shaking the pan every ten minutes, until peas are crisp and golden.

Archived