MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

from The Inglenook Cook Book (1906)

OK when I found this recipe (a lady in a magazine wanted it?) I thought it was going to be made with the pop MOUNTAIN DEW ? But I guess it is because the topping looks like MOUNTAIN DEW ? shrug

haven't made it yet but looks MMMMMMMMMMM good!

Oh now THAT is a soup? so I guess it has to be good to the last drop furious

Now wait that's coffee - OH! I give up just try it! feedme

Michael2

from The Inglenook Cook Book (1906)

MOUNTAIN DEW PUDDING

Take 1 pint of milk,

yolks of 2 eggs,

2 tablespoonfuls cocoanut,

1/2 cup rolled crackers,

l teaspoonful lemon extract,

and a little sugar.

Bake half hour.

Make a frosting of whites of 2 eggs

and 1/4 cup granulated sugar.

Brown in oven. feedme

Yes, there is an online version here...

http://www.foodreference.com/1906/home.html

The Inglenook Cook Book:

Choice Recipes Contributed by Sisters of the Brethren Church

Subsubscribers and Friends of the Inglenook Magazine

Brethren Publishing House, Elgin, Illinois (1906)

ROFLMAO!

I found this recipe there:

MARYLAND BISCUITS

Take 5 pints flour, 1 teacupful of lard, a reasonable amount of salt, 3 teaspoonfuls of baking powder, 1/2 pint milk, 1 pint water, and beat hard with a rolling pin 1/2 hour. Make out by hand in small biscuits, and stick with a fork several times. Bake in hot oven.

Sister Mary A. Weybright, Double Pipe Creek, Md.

Beat with rolling pin for half hour?

ROFL!

You're welcome. (I think it has typos)...

The Inglenook Cook Book (1906)

A GOOD CAKE

Take 9 eggs, 2 cups of soft white sugar. Beat them together 1 hour; then add 2 cups of flour and 1/2 teaspoonful of baking powder. Bake 1 hour.

Sister Josiah Clapper, Salemville, Pa.

---

The recipes sound quite good, 10.gif although I think they mix JUST a little too long...

this poor food.. beat for half hour, beat for an hour! like we need to tenderize bisquits or a cake? too cute

Compare these recipes: http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcookies.html

[1596]

"To Make Fine Biscuit Bread

Take a pound of fine flour, and a pound of sugar, and mingle it together [with] a quarter of a pound of aniseeds, four eggs, [and] two or three spoonfuls of rose water. Put all thse into an earthen pan and with a slice of wood beat it the space of two hours. Then fill your moulds half full. Your moulds must be made of tin. Then let it into your oven, being so hot as it were for cheat bread. Let it stand one hour and an half. You must anoint your moulds with butter before you put in your stuff. And when you will occupte [make use] of it, slice it thin and dry it in your oven, your oven being no hotter than you may abide your hand in the bottom."

---The Good Housewife's Jewel, Thomas Dawson, with an introduction by Maggie Black [southover Press:East Sussex] 1996 (p. 79)

[1817]

"Hard biscuits

"Warm two ounces of butter in as much skimmed milk as will make a pound of flour into a very stiff paste, beat it with a rolling pin, and work it very smooth. Roll it thin, and cut it into round biscuits; prick them full of holes with a fork. About six minutes will bake them."

---The Female Instructor: or Young Woman's Guide to Domestic Happiness, [Thomas Kelly:London] 1817 (p. 473)

[1824]

"Apoquiniminc Cakes.

Put a little salt, one egg beaten, and four ounces of butter, in a quart of flour; make it into a paste with new milk, beat it for half an hour with a pestel, roll the paste think, and cut it into round cakes; bake them on a gridiron and be careful not to burn them."

---The Virginia Housewife, Mary Randolph, facsimile 1824 edition with Historical Notes and Commentaries by Karen Hess [Columbia:University of South Carolina Press] 1984 (p. 170)

[1853]

"Maryland Biscuit.

Take any quantity of flour you think the size of the family may require; put in salt, and a lump or table-spoonful of good lard; rub it well in the flour; then moisten it with new milk, work it well, and beat it with a rolling-pin until perferctly light. On the lightness depends the goodness of the biscuit. Bake rather slowly, a light brown."

---Cookery as it Should Be: A New Manual of the Dining Room and Kitchen, A Practical Housekeeper and Pupil of Mrs. Goodfellow [Willis P. Hazard:Philadelphia] 1853 (p. 184)

[1857]

"Maryland Biscuit

Take two quarts of sifted wheat flour, and add a small tea-spoonful of salt. Rub into the pan of flour a large quarter of a pound of lard, and add, gradually, warm milk enough to make a very stiff dough. Knead the lump of doung long and hard, and pound it on all sides with a rolling pin. Divide the dough into several pieces, and knead and pound each piece separately. This must go on for two or three hours, continually kneading and pounding, otherwise it will be hard, tough, and indigestible. Then make it into small round thick biscuits, prick them with a fork, and bake them a pale brown. This is the most labourious of cakes, and also the most unwholesome, even when made in the best manner. We do not recommend it; but there is not accounting for tastes. Children should not eat these biscuits-nor grown persons either, if they can get any other sort of bread. When living in a town where there are bakers, there is no excuse for making Maryland biscuit. Believe nobody that says they are not unwholesome. Yet we have heard of families, in country places, where neither the mistress nor the cook knew anyother preparation of wheat bread. Better to live on Indian cakes."

---Miss Leslie's New Cookery Book, Eliza Leslie [T.B. Peterson:Philadelphia PA] 1857 (p. 432)

[NOTE: "Indian cakes" refers to bread products made with maize meal. They were generally regarded as inferior to wheat products.]

[1881]

"Maryland Beat Biscuit

Take one quart of flour, add one teaspoonful of salt, one tablespoonful of lard, half tablespoonful of butter. Dry rub the lard and butter into the four unitl well creamed; add your water gradually in mixing so as to make dough stiff, then put the dough on pastry board and beat until perfectly moist and light. Roll out the dough to thickness of third of an inch. Have your stove hot and bake quickly. To make more add twice the quantity."

---What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking, Mrs. Fisher, facsimile 1881 reprint with historical notes by Karen Hess [Applewood Books:Boston] 1995 (p. 9)

[1904]

"Beaten Biscuits

1 pint of flour

1 rounded tablespoon of lard

1 good pinch of salt

Mix with very cold sweet milk to a stiff dough. Work 150 times through a kneader. Roll into sheet one-half inch thick. Cut out or make out with the hands. Stick with a fork and bake in a hot oven about twenty minutes till a rich brown."

---The Blue Grass Cook Book, Minne C. Fox, fascimile 1904 reprint with an introduction by John Fox Jr. [university of Kentucky Press:Lexington KY] 2005 (p. 1)

[1932]

Maryland Beaten Biscuit

3 pints winter wheat flour, 1/4 lb. Lard, one-half ice water and milk to make a stiff dough, 1 heaping teaspoon salt. Work in the lard, add the liquid and beat with a club for twenty-five minutes. Make in small biscuits and bake in a hot oven."

---Eat, Drink and Be Merry in Maryland, Frederick Philip Steiff [G.P. Putnam:New York] 1932 (p. 186)

[1992]

"Beaten Biscuits

Beaten biscuits originated in Maryland more than 200 years ago, when a mixture of soda and cream of tartar was used as leavening. The dough was beaten to make it light and airy. These biscuits became such a necessity that a machine similar to a wringer was invented to manipulate the dough. Even in modern times, this type of biscuit dough is still beaten. By tradition the dough is beaten with a hammer, mallet, or an ax for about 30 minutes. Lard was originally used in the biscuit dough, but today either solid vegetable shortening, margarine, or butter is often substituted.

Makes 3 1/2 to 4 dozen biscuits

4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 cup lard, solid vegetable shortening, margarine, or butter

1/3 cup milk combined with 1/3 cup water

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Cut in the shortening until it resembles coarse meal. Add just enough of the liquid, a little at a time, to make a stiff dough. Knead the dough several times in the bowl and then turn it out on a lightly floured board. Beat the dough for about 30 minutes, turning it several times until it pops and is smooth and elastic. Shape the dough into smooth balls by hand. Place on a cookie sheet and prick each biscuit with a fork, making 3 rows of holes. Make in a preheated 400 degree F. Oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until light brown."

--- Taste of the States: A Food History of America, Hilde Gabriel Lee [Howell Press:Hong Kong] 1992 (p. 45)

-----------------------------------------------

heh, heh, heh...

First place I peeked at was "Miscellaneous"... I am always curious about the odd stuff. shy.gif

"Keeping Meats" tells how they used lard to preserve meat. "Dried Beef" is interesting.

TO MAKE GRAHAM FLOUR

Weigh 20 pounds of wheat flour, 5 pounds of bran, and 2 1/2 pounds of shorts. Mix well together.

(Anyone know what "SHORTS" are???? Dunno2.gif )

**Trying hard not to giggle...** blush1.gif

Then I headed to "For The Sick"...

Irish Moss??? Wonder.gif

IRISH MOSS

Buy 10 cents worth of Irish sea moss in the drug store, then take a piece the size of a dollar and wash it in cold water, and put it in 1/2 pint of sweet milk and boil it till it thickens like cream. Stir all the time. Then strain, and season with a little sugar. Serve while warm. As soon as it cools it gets stiff, but it can also be eaten cold with cream and sugar.

Sister Fannie E. Light, Manheim, Pa.

It hit me that "carageen" is a seaweed thickener used in thousands of products today (just look at your labels!). So I tried a search in that direction... BINGO!

Very interesting stuff... it saved people's lives during the Irish famine. And it is supposed to be very nutritious, so it was good for the sick.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Irish moss (carrageen moss/ Chondrus crispus) or Carraig'n in Gaelic, is widely distributed throughout Ireland, where it obtains its common name (Irish moss), and other north Atlantic shorelines. Carrageen moss probably derived its name from a place in Ireland which carries its namesake, Carrageen Head in Co. Donegal.

Irish moss grows on rocks, in rock pools in the lower intertidal and shallow subtidal zones. It is attached to the rock bed by means of a holdfast and can grow up to 150 mm in length, Irish moss is dark reddish brown in colour and often appears beautifully iridescent in sunny whether. The stipe is compressed at the base, opening up gradually to a flat branched frond. Multiple fronds branch out from a single hold fast.

During the great famine which devastated mid nineteenth century Ireland, many Irish families who were lucky reside in coastal localities avoided the ravages of starvation by eating Irish moss, dulse and periwinkles (Littorina littorea). After the curative process, i.e. drying and subsequent bleaching, Irish moss was often boiled, from which a highly nutritious jelly was made, used in soups, included in stews, puddings, or it was boiled with milk to form a highly nutritious food supplement (see recipes).

The Irish moss curative process involves washing the herb in sea water, then the harvested product is laid out in a thin layer on netting, for a period of one to two weeks, depending on the prevailing whether conditions. Damp foggy whether is required to bleach the Irish moss, followed by dry sunny weather to dry out and cure this vegetable for prolonged storage. No artificial methods are implemented in this process.

(picture included at site)

http://www.iol.ie/~kerry-web/carageencontent.html

There's a link describing the health benefits... it's supposed to be good against colds, flu, pneumonia, etc., as well as other things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, I'm going to be exploring the other recipes, too.

Thanks for the "heads up" and the link. And I'm glad you got it, Michael! happyclap.gif

Archived