MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Oven-fried chicken?

Does anyone have a tried and true oven-fried chicken recipe with a coating that won't fall off when it's cold? I'm making a picnic lunch tomorrow for us to eat on Saturday. I told DH I'd make chicken and potato salad, but all the oven-fried chicken I've ever tried to make, the coating gets soggy and slides right off when it's cold...

I'll be using skinless, boneless tenderloins if that makes a difference (so it's more like chicken fingers, I guess!).

Here is my favorite, favorite, favorite oven fried chicken recipe. I got it from a once-a-month-cooking site, tried it, and have been using this recipe ever since! It is SOOOOO full of flavor.

Parmesan Oven-Fried Chicken Sticks

Recipe By : adapted by Suzy Wert from Cooking Light Magazine

Serving Size : 12

1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs

1/2 cup crushed saltines

1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons dried parsley

1/2 teaspoon Beau Monde, Old Bay, Poultry seasoning, or ground celery seed

1/4 teaspoon garlic salt or garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon pepper or cayenne

12 chicken breast halves -- skinned

1/2 cup italian reduced-calorie salad dressing see notes

vegetable cooking spray

Combine first 5 ingredients; set aside. De-bone and cut chicken breasts crosswise into strips about 1/2" x 1/2" x whatever length, probably about 2" - 3". Dip chicken in salad dressing; dredge in bread crumb - cracker - cheese mixture. Place chicken, on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350F for 45 minutes or until tender.

To freeze: Flash freeze and bag in large ziploc. Squeeze out air.

To serve: Pick out as many strips as you want to cook and heat on a cookie sheet at 400 until hot and crisp.

Notes: may substitute buttermilk, regular dressing, or mixed up egg, but the italian dressing has a really good flavor -- use garlic powder instead of garlic salt if you use salad dressing

In recipes, these are GREAT! I use with Chicken marengo, Chicken parmesan, Any chicken-with-sauce recipe I have... just heat them and while the oven is going, make your recipe and serve them under or on top of what you're making. We also like them plain. They are quick to cook, even frozen, since they are in pieces. Very versatile! They also are less greasy than the chicken fingers you get in a restaurant because they aren't deep fat fried. ~ SW

Here's the site I got these from: http://snider.mardox.com/OAMC.htm

Have fun on your picnic!!!!!!!!!!

Shawna

It is an excellent recipe.

I make the same thing, except just with half italian breadcrumbs and half romano cheese to dip the chicken in and fry in olive oil. Y'all will like it.

I made it, sort of, but I'm not eating it till tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes!

I say sort of because I used crushed croutons in place of the bread crumbs, panko crumbs in place of the saltines, and ranch dressing in place of the Italian. Did I mention I find it impossible to stick to a recipe? grin

It smelled darn good while cooking, that's for sure!

I am glad you liked them!!! I absolutely love that recipe....I have never had a *fried* chicken recipe that tasted so yummy!

You follow recipes like I do LOL!! I am always replacing things because many times I don't have exactly what's called for....gives way to many interesting concoctions LOL!!!!

Hope you had fun on your picnic!

Shawna

Archived