MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

seasonal allergies

My allergies are in full swing right now, and I'm wondering if anyone uses any herbs or other natural products to combat them. For a while, I was using Boiron's Sabadil (homeopathic), but when they got really bad I switched back to Benadryl, which lately leaves me feeling like a walking zombie...

Any suggestions?

If your talking about hay fever the best and only thing worth stocking up on is roiboch tea, Not sure of the spelling.

It's south african as far as I can remember, I have used it one really bad summer, and it completely kills the symptoms.

It takes a few days to start working but after that take one cup a day for hassle free summer.

I grow feverfew for allergies, but feverfew takes from 2 weeks to 2 months before it works. It grows by each door which makes it easy to grab a leaf and chew on it. Tastes Gwad awful!

Yes, local honey is supposed to help because the bees take the necter from local plants and it is supposed to help build your tolerance to the allergens.

Nettles... interesting as is roiboch tea... hummmmm wonder if one took them all? LOL!

Rooibos - The Red Tea

Just like black and green tea, rooibos is full of polyphenols, flavonoids and proanthocyanidins that help protect the body from free radical damage. Free radicals attack healthy cells, fats, protein and DNA contributing to the weakening of the immune system and ultimately the development of chronic diseases including arteriosclerosis, inflammatory diseases such as arthritis, heart disease, and cancer. Drinking rooibos tea daily, as the South Africans do, can help build the body's defenses against the onslaught of germs and pollution that attack our immune system continually. Scientific studies on rooibos from Japan and South Africa show that rooibos has comparable amounts of polyphenols to green tea and shows anti-mutagenic, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral activity.

In addition to its antioxidant properties, rooibos is also famed for its anti-allergenic and anti-inflammatory properties. South African mothers feed their colicky babies rooibos tea, which also seems to help with milk allergies. Rooibos has been shown to help clear up various types of inflammatory dermatitis and seasonal allergies. Rooibos contains high levels of quercitin, a member of the flavonoid group found in fruits and vegetables. Quercitin inhibits the release of histamine and other inflammatory compounds. It decreases the inflammatory response in the mast cells of the nose & mouth & all mucous membranes. It also may have some anti-viral properties, which would explain why the Japanese have found that rooibos tea helps suppress the occurrence of herpes simplex in people who suffer from recurrent herpes.

Rooibos also contains calcium, fluoride, magnesium, iron, zinc, copper and potassium along with other flavonoids such as rutin, and various proanthocyanidins. Drinking rooibos tea contributes to the maintenance of healthy skin, bones, teeth, and enhances the metabolic processes.

Sounds like a wonder tea!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I ordered some nettles, and once I have grocery money again (I really blew the budget this month!) I'll look for the tea. Wonder if I can get local honey at the farmer's market. Hmm...

Originally Posted By: jewlzm
Rooibos - The Red Tea

Just like black and green tea, rooibos is full of polyphenols, flavonoids and proanthocyanidins that help protect the body from free radical damage. Free radicals attack healthy cells, fats, protein and DNA contributing to the weakening of the immune system and ultimately the development of chronic diseases including arteriosclerosis, inflammatory diseases such as arthritis, heart disease, and cancer. Drinking rooibos tea daily, as the South Africans do, can help build the body's defenses against the onslaught of germs and pollution that attack our immune system continually. Scientific studies on rooibos from Japan and South Africa show that rooibos has comparable amounts of polyphenols to green tea and shows anti-mutagenic, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral activity.

In addition to its antioxidant properties, rooibos is also famed for its anti-allergenic and anti-inflammatory properties. South African mothers feed their colicky babies rooibos tea, which also seems to help with milk allergies. Rooibos has been shown to help clear up various types of inflammatory dermatitis and seasonal allergies. Rooibos contains high levels of quercitin, a member of the flavonoid group found in fruits and vegetables. Quercitin inhibits the release of histamine and other inflammatory compounds. It decreases the inflammatory response in the mast cells of the nose & mouth & all mucous membranes. It also may have some anti-viral properties, which would explain why the Japanese have found that rooibos tea helps suppress the occurrence of herpes simplex in people who suffer from recurrent herpes.

Rooibos also contains calcium, fluoride, magnesium, iron, zinc, copper and potassium along with other flavonoids such as rutin, and various proanthocyanidins. Drinking rooibos tea contributes to the maintenance of healthy skin, bones, teeth, and enhances the metabolic processes.

Celestial Seasonings makes one or two Rooibos teas. The one I like is Madagascar Red Vanilla.

Archived