MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question for canning experts

preparing

I went to get my apples and got over 100 pounds. I would like to start early in the morning while it is cool and was wondering if I could peel the apples tonight and core them? If I did, how do I keep them until tomorrow morning? I am making applesauce with these and jelly.

I don't peel them if making smooth applesauce. I just wash , core, and quarter them and cook them like that. The peels give it a nice color, IMHO grin Same with jelly...I wouldn't bother peeling. The peel comes off when straining.

HTH!

Shawna

I don't peel mine either. I use my Squeezo to run them through after cooking. It removes the skin and seeds for me.

If you're making chunky and want to peel them I would NOT peel them until morning. I think they'll turn brown on you. When I used to peel them I'd put them in a big bowl of water with lemon juice added to it. Even with the lemon juice they were turning somewhat brown after a couple of hours so a whole night would probably be too much time.

I could very easily be wrong and someone come along with saying they've done it before.

Nope, I'm with the others... don't peel them tonight. (Although you've probably given up on it by now, anyway.) happy02

I do the same... wash, cut in quarters, cut the core out (and any bad spots), and cook them down. The best nutrition is *just* under the peel, anyway, so cook 'em with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I peel mine, then put into water with Fruit Fresh if I want to keep them in the fridge.

I peel, core, then puree mine in the Cuisinart with just a little water, then put on the stove and cook. Then, add sugar if wanted, add some Fruit Fresh and put in the jars and process. The Fruit Fresh keeps it bright colored all year. It is only vitamin C and fine for canning with. That way I am not trying to puree hot fruit.

I add Fruit Fresh to my syrups when canning, too. Very nice results !

Archived