MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

CANNING HELP

preparing

Canning chicken soup. Question about canner and pressure. We are to cook at 12 pounds. When you put the weight on the vent you have a choice of 10 or 15. Do we put it on the 15 pounds of pressure even though we need 12? It started jiggling at 14 pounds, so do we count 1 hour and 30 minutes when it started the jiggling? Nothing in the directions about 12 pounds of pressure.

Well that was an experience! lol My husband and I were reading the Ball Blue Book and the All-American instructions. I am worried about botch and he was worried if we put enough water in the thing. We got 7 quarts. I followed the recipe in the Ball Blue Book. I think mine looks strange compared to yours though, but I chopped the carrots, onions and the celery small because my kids will not eat big pieces of celery or onions. I have not wiped the jars off, but do they look normal?

542-soup4.jpg

That white stuff/film on your jars is caused by the minerals in the water. Just add some vinegar (1/4 to 1/2 cup) to the water in the canner before getting everything heating.

For these already canned jars, you can use vinegar water to wash it off. wink.gif

I like to add a very small amount to my jar-sterilizing water, too.

WAY TO GO, GIRL!!!! hi5.gif

yay.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Cat, you don't need to boil the jars if you are processing any food for 10 min. or longer. They only need to be clean and warm so as not to break them.

I never boil mine. If something calls for 5 min. processing I just skip it and process 10 min. instead.

You would use 15 lb. pressure if you need to adjust for altitude.

Archived