MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need Glueten Free Recipes

If anyone here wants a favorite recipe adapted to GF...my method is to start with substituting equal amounts of Bette Hagman's mix flour plus two tsp of xanthan gum and 1 packet of unflavored gelatin. If you are going dairy free, then you have to try various amounts of soy milk or rice milk or use dairy free powder and water. Usually, the GF flour doesn't need quite as much liquid. I have successfully translated many recipes this way. (but not bread recipes..use Bette Hagman's recipes for that. I'm talking here about cookies and pies and cakes and such)

Oh..I just thought of it. I'll have to post my GF dairy free pumpkin pie recipe. It is just fine with soy milk and my family devours it on Thanksgiving...and I get to have pie!

Once you start "cooking in the Twilight Zone" you will find that you can make very good replicas of your old favorite wheat recipes. You simply have to get into the mindset of cooking from scratch--which serves preppers well because we store a lot of raw ingredients anyway. We should know how to use them.

I'll dig out that pumpkin pie recipe a little later and post it.

Oh..and just so you know, xanthan gum is usually made from corn, but it is very highly processed and does not contain corn protein. I can use it! However, some of my corn-allergic pals cannot tolerate it.

Here is a Bette Hagman's Buttermilk Biscuit recipe along with my adaptation to make it milk-free

Buttermilk Biscuits

1 Tablespoon sugar

2 Tablespoons shortening

1 egg

1/2 cup rice flour'1/3 cup potato starch

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salk

1/3 cup buttermilk

Mix sugar, shortening and egg. Sift the dry ingredients together and add them to the sugar mixture alteratively with the buttermilk.

Pat out the mixture onto rice-floured wax paper and cut into round biscuit shapes. Or make drop biscuits by dropping batter by Tablespoonsfull onto greased baking sheet.

Bake in preheated $00 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes 8 biscuits.

My variation:

Use above recipe but simply use

Bette Hagman's mix flour and use double the amount called for in the recipe. (Substitute it for both the flours in the recipe for a total of 1 and 2/3 cups Bette Hagman flour) Use two eggs instead of one. Use 4 Tablespoons shortening. (I use butter flavored crisco) Add 1 packet of high activity yeast which has been first put into 3/4 cup warm water and 1 tsp sugar to foam it up.

For the milk, use 3 Tablespoons of Vance's Dari Free (or the quivalent of any other dry dairy substitute that you use) Do not use the buttermilk. Make sure you still use the baking powder even though you used yeast.

Mix the same way as above--but don't try to roll these out. Make them into drop biscuits!

These have a similar taste to Miss Roben's biscuit mixes and much cheaper. The yeast makes them really taste like bread. These are a staple for me. Enjoy!

• 2 years later...

Hi. I have celiac disease and 20+ food allergies.

There's alot of good info here http://forums.glutenfree.com/

Wal_Mart's Great Value products that are safe will have "GLUTEN FREE" on the label under the ingredient list. General Mills recently began making most of thier Chex cereal gluten free (it says it on the box).

Tinkyada's brown rice pastas are the best. I was so excited to have pasta that didn't turn to mush!

For me one of the challenges was learning about cross-contamination. Anything plastic or wood (think utensils, cutting boards) and teflon and cast iron skillets that are used to prepare gluten containing items should never be used to prepare gluten-free items. Also, flour can be in the air for up to 48 hours and can be ingested from the air.

Archived