MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Kind of confused now...

Adam_MA

In another post here, there was a link to a site with canning information. http://missvickie.com/canning/canning-frame.html

I was reading through the site, and it was pretty discouraging. It kept saying over and over again, ONLY can tested recipes, and NEVER change a recipe, it even said that one of the projects I saw and wanted to try here (Chicken soup) was bad, and that cold pack canning was an outdated technique.

Does this mean that only the recipes that are in the Ball book are the only ones that I can safely use?

I guess I thought I would be able to experiment a bit more, with canning some of my favorite recipes, and processing according to the ingredients that were used. Am I wrong here, or is that web site just being overly cautious?

If the Ball book says you can can peas and you can carrots, I don't see the problem with canning peas and carrots together. Just process for whichever one needs the longest processing time.

Know canning limits: You cannot can dairy, eggs, or grains. So while I can crumbled ground beef, I don't can my meatballs (which contain bread crumbs and an egg). You also cannot can anything that uses flour or cornstarch as a thickener, but if you think about it, those are grains.

They are being very conservative and cautious. If I stay within the guidelines of processing times with the appropriate foods, and stay away from the "no-no's", I've felt confident canning my own products. Violet probably won't agree with me (and I'm sure with valid reasons at times), but that's what I personally do.

There is a cook book put out by one state's extension service that has dozens of recipes for canning. Its a spiral bound book that I check out regularly from my local library. I'm at work or I'd post the name/state for you as its on my coffee table at the moment!

I've taken old recipes that were my grandmother's to the extension office to find out whether or not they were safe. They lady there was most helpful. If the recipe was not safe she'd tell me what changes to make so that it would be safe. I'm in Iowa and the extension service has a 1-800 number to a question line at Iowa State University in Ames so maybe your state does too.

Most extension services have extensive bulletins available to download in .pdf format on canning. Utah and Indiana (I think) are two of the best and the great part about the Internet is that you have access to all state's extension services.

Archived