MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I finally got a Ball book!

SueC

it has taken a while, but I have finally got a Ball book of preserving! banana

I found a local (well 50kms away is local?) bookshop, who ordered it for me, and after patiently waiting for the slow boat from USA to travel the longest route to Australia, it came!

Now - be good I tell myself, and wait till the exams are over, then I can read it and use it and ... well I just gotta be patient for a bit longer read

honey why didn't you say something! I have a couple of them sitting on my bookshelf! I would have been happy to send you one a year ago. Sue, don't hesitate to say something. Do you have a jar lifter?

I picked up a jar lifter about a month ago at a thrift shop for 20cents. Time and patience is working for me. I have a funnel, and I see that I can use a chopstick for getting air bubbles out. So I think I am pretty much right now. Just got to do stuff with it all. But only 8 weeks left with studies, so I can actually play a bit more.

A what? I chuck seals in hot water, then put the seals on the bottles and the lids are put in boiling water till ready. he aussie system uses jars, seals, lids and clips. The seal is put on the jar, then the lid and then a clip holds it all together. 24 hours later remove clips and check the seals.

SWATSWATSWAT!

Please let us help you next time with things like this. We have so much that we could just GIVE you, and send it the cheapest way to you over in Australia.

((((sue))))

**Hanging my head in shame...**

It's my fault. I promised to send her these things and haven't. They're even HERE, but I haven't packaged them up to send.

ashamed001.gif

Oh Cat, bighug

you had more urgent things happening ... I got the big ball book with 400 recipes, so next year when I have weekends (oh man haven't had weekends for over 10 years!) I am going to have a ball!

I have 2 friends here that I have been persuading to give canning a try. just a little nudging smile and I finally get some more to try this journey, and now they have, I am moving frown

It is an exciting journey ...

Wow - there are a few varieties of bottles on there. The closest would be the one described as having a cap and spring (about 85% down the page - about where your thumb is sick of scrolling smile )

I have many old recipe books, my girls often are known to ask what is a pint or lb or oz! I also have measuring containers in metric and imperial. so weights - my scales have both, and I have a good measuring jug that has litres and pints on it. That gives me good leeway in most things. BUT... I made Nana's kick A.. soup and added the required cayenne pepper. Nearly burnt my mouth out! Discovered later that the american tablespoon is about 2/3 the size of the australian, which is smaller than the old imperial. So by using my baking imperial tablespoon I had doubled the pepper! ok - lesson learned there!

Archived