MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hawaii finds flu in schools, mentions Australia

susie

Health Officials Find Flu Cases At Oahu School

POSTED: 8:36 pm HST September 5, 2007

UPDATED: 9:03 pm HST September 5, 2007

HONOLULU -- Three months before the usual flu season, Hawaii health officials said they have recorded their first cluster of flu cases at a school.

Three children associated with a small Oahu private school were confirmed to have influenza and several other children were also sick, according to the Department of Health.

"They had high fevers. One child had a fever over 105 degrees, which is really quite high. You would have a sore throat and cough, and these kids who were positive for flu were out of school for approximately a week," said Dr. Paul Effler of the DOH.

The Health Department is encouraging children to get free shots or flu mist at schools.

Consent forms, now available in several languages, are due Friday.

This may be a more severe flu season than usual because of the early reports and because of a severe outbreak in Australia that killed six children.

That is not good. When they started talking about the 1918 flu and that it could happen again, I started looking into it and found several stories aobut chicken soup or chicken broth. I swore I was going to have a bunch ready, I have some, but not what I would like to have.

I'm so leery of these reports but for a different reason than most. It is truly not unusual to have clusters of flu within small groups of people outside of the "flu" season. Perhaps a family member had been traveling and brought it home. I can't help but wonder who was behind the media push for this one. Was it the pharmaceutical companies who produce the vaccine?

Wejust can't be too careful what we believe just because we see it in print.

By all means prepare as we know that it will probably come at some point but research those vaccines thoroughly before you get them.

((( )))

My dd's doctor always suggests it for her b/c she is high risk. I asked her if she got it or gave it to her kids and she said no. So I said no thanks. She said I guess I don't blame you.

My dd (and I) had the flu a few years ago. It was awful but it was the only time she didn't have seizures???!!!

The flu paralyzed my son several years ago - he was 11 y/o at the time - it hit his spinal cord, causing swelling around the cord and permanently destroying nerves. It can hit your heart and mess up your valves to the point that you need a heart transplant. Don't mess around with it; don't take chances. it isn't always just respiratory.

Quote:
We just can't be too careful what we believe just because we see it in print.

By all means prepare as we know that it will probably come at some point but research those vaccines thoroughly before you get them

I agree totally and have refused flu shot for any of family. However, highest case numbers in Australia were and Hawaii (to date), children rather than elderly. Add South Dakota to states now offering free flu shots to school children. Sigh, worth keeping an eye on. frown

In class last night a lady was sick... high fever and I gave her a kiss on the forehead and asked her is she took an asprin for her high fever. She said no. I sat next to her so I would get what she has.

Might as well try to get my immunity built up now before the serious flu season starts.

I had to get a flu shot once due to the nature of my job... got the flu 6 times!!! I got a shot for 1 strain and got the other strains out there! ... go figure! I learned then.. there is no point for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually home sick today with the flu. A rather mild case...got the achy parts, not too bad, but it only bumped my temp about 2 degrees. The friend who just had it went up to 102 and said it hurt bad enough her hair and fingernails hurt! Hopefully I won't get it again this year - I'm already going to be on a greatly reduced budget for a while.

Archived