MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Crutons

help

I thought I read how to do this a few months ago but now I can't find anything here.

Has anyone made Crutons out of homemade bread? I have some that we aren't eating fast enough & I thought that would be a nice way to keep it from going bad & give us an extra nice addition to our soups & salads. But I haven't done it in so long I can't remember how.

I think You make some type of garlic butter & coat the bread cubes in it then bake them but for how long, what oven temp & what "butter to bread" proportions?

Can anyone fill in the gaps in my knowledge?

Thanks!

WHen I make croutons, I bake them in the oven. I melt some butter in a broiler pan, put in the bread cubes, then coat them with parmesan cheese. Then, bake in 350 oven until golden brown, stirring a few times so they don't stick.

2.gif

AWESOME CROUTONS

dbsktmkr-WA

1 loaf bread, diced

about 1 cube butter, melted

onion powder

garlic powder

parsley flakes

Preheat oven to 250° F. Put diced bread in a large pan (roasting or cookie sheet). Mix butter and seasoning powders, and spread over bread pieces. Stir every half hour... will take at least 1 1/2 hours. Place in airtight container, use and enjoy!!

*You can also substitute your favorite spices to make it your favorite!

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...ge=1#Post135574

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How To Make Homemade Croutons

Peggy Trowbridge Filippone

Homemade croutons are not only easy to make, they are tastier, since you choose your own favorite seasonings. Learn how to make homemade croutons to garnish salads and soups.

Time Required: 45 minutes

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Mix your favorite fresh or dried herbs and spices with 1/4 cup olive oil.

Lightly brush flavored oil on both sides of bread slices.

Stack as many slices as you can cut at one time.

Cut into cubes the size of your choice.

Spread cubes in single layer on large baking sheet.

Bake until cubes are dry and crisp. Time will depend on the size and thickness of cubes, about 45 minutes.

Let cool completely.

Store in an airtight container.

Use within one week or freeze up to 6 months

TIPS:

Use low-fat dressing for a low-fat alternative to oil.

Croutons can be ground up and used like bread crumbs.

http://homecooking.about.com/cs/atozfoodin...ht/croutons.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Croutons recipe

Garlic Croutons:

2 cloves garlic, halved*

3 cups day-old bread or rolls, cubed

3 tablespoons butter, melted, or 3 tablespoons olive oil

Sauté garlic in olive oil in a large nonstick skillet until tender. Add water, mixing well. Add bread cubes, tossing to coat; remove and discard garlic. Spread bread cubes evenly on baking sheet, and bake at 325 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.

* Or use your choice of onion salt, garlic salt, paprika, thyme, poultry seasoning, tarragon, or grated cheese.

Southwestern Croutons:

1/2 cup cubed bread

1/2 cup nacho chips, crumbled

1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning mix

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Italian Croutons:

1 cup cubed bread

1/2 teaspoon oregano

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon basil

2 tablespoons olive oil

Cheesy Soup Croutons:

1 cup cubed bread

2 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup Parmesan or Cheddar cheese, grated

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/scratch/croutons.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOTS you can do to make these to your own tastes! wink.gif

We make & eat homemade croutons all the time. Sometimes in soup or salad, but mostly we just eat a small handful as a snack. I save up all the ends of bread in the freezer (especially the homemade end that go stale quickly) When I have enough bread I take them out of the freezer & let them sit out and thaw and get even more stale. Then I cube them and put them into a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, I whisk together olive oil (usually 1/4 to 1/2 cup - depends on the amount of bread) and plenty of dried herbs, spices, & parmesan cheese. (I never measure or even use the same flavorings. Favorites of ours are garlic powder, diced onion, parsley, salt & pepper, thyme, paprika, whatever) I drizzle the oil mixture over the croutons and then toss with my hands until everything is well coated. Spread the croutons out in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 350, turning often. When all the croutons are nicely toasted, I take the cookie sheet out and let them cool and make sure that they are completely dry. Then I store them in an airtight glass cookie jar and they stay fine for as long as a month.

Archived