MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning lemonade?

Anyone ever canned a lemonade or lemonade concentrate? Obviously it can be water bathed for 10 minutes since it's so high in sugar & acid, but I've been looking for a recipe and have turned up nil so far. shrug I though about canning the syrup that I have to make to make my lemonade, do you think it'll work? I'd love to have it on hand & just be able to dump it in a pitcher with some water. A lot less work than juicing the lemons every time.

Susie!

Which way did you find was the best for making a concentrated lemonade? Emma and I want to do this sooooooooooooo badly!

We are doing grape juice now and then tomato soup and rhubarb pie filling.

I'm going to try this...for one pint of concentrated syrup:

1 large lemon, without the peel

1 strip of lemon peel (optional, my kids prefer without)

8 small cinnamnon redhots or two mint leaves (optional)

4 heaping tablespoons of sugar

water to fill the jar

This ends up a concentrated version of the lemonade that I did, yesterday. I imagine that one part syrup and three parts water would be about right.

You could maybe double the amounts of ingredients to do a more concentrated syrup, but then you wouldn't be able to fit in much of the water. Or just use the juice of the lemon, instead of the entire peeled fruit.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Thanks!

I'd probably do quarts, since it is pointless around here, to do anything less than a gallon. I wonder if this could be safely canned with Splenda?

Do the red hots make this hot at all or is it just pinkish and taste like cinn.? I wonder what would happen with a few strawberries added or some cherries..marashino?

Remember...if you do it quarts, and you dilute it...you'll have gallons of the stuff at a time.

I don't know about the Splenda, maybe someone else can chime in, here?

The redhots are wonderful, it makes the lemonade taste just like them (maybe you don't want that? I did make some without, and it was good, too). I used more redhots when I did it, yesterday, but it just tasted a lot like redhots and not enough like lemonade, so I watered it down with the plain lemonade I'd made, and I figure two per pint ordinary or eight concentrated should be good.

People here in France drink lots of syrups...mint, lemon, orange, blackcurrant, etc.. The syrups here are quite concentrated, and are diluted seven or ten to one. They're also thick, which makes me wonder if it's an idea to maybe make a strong sugar syrup to pour over the lemon, before canning.

West, I have that stuff, but most of the packets are like clunked together. It makes for difficulties in getting it out of the packet as well as harder to dissolve (some of them are granular, like they're supposed to be). Regardless I love the stuff & it makes a great faux lemonade with a pkt of sweetener!

Here is one I found earlier this summer. Haven't tried it yet, but if I can find the strawberries I am hoping to. wave

Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate for canning

12 cups strawberries

4 cups fresh lemon juice or lime juice

5 cups sugar

Rinse and drain the strawberries.

Hull and measure.

Squeeze the lemon juice and measure.

You will probably need about 16 lemons, or 24 limes, but buy a few extra as they can vary quite a bit in juiciness.

Put the jars on to boil in a large kettle, with the water coming up at least an inch over the tops of them.

Let boil 10 minutes before removing to be filled.

Meanwhile, purée the strawberries.

Heat them with the lemon or lime juice and sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved, but do not boil.

Pour into hot sterilized jars to within 1 cm (1/2") of the tops.

Seal with lids sterilized according to the manufacturers directions.

(Generally, boil for 5 minutes.) Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

To serve, mix with cold water to taste, about one part syrup to two parts water.

Serve over ice.

Looks like 6 quart jars - recipe says 6 500 ml jars

Archived