MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ewwww...can you fix my booboo?

I made a mistake. I was making spaghetti sauce and I put too much baking soda in. It rose like a sponge, and now it has no flavor whatsoever, even after adding 2 more little cans of tomato paste and a big can of diced tomaotes. Is there anything I can do to get my flavor back? I can't really afford to go buy more meat.

...Never mind. I figured out what the combination is that's in the sweet spaghetti sauces that make me sick to my tummy. After just a few bites, my tummy is threatening rebellion. This entire batch is going down the drain as I really don't like throwing up. I'd been told it was the chemical reaction between sugar, corn syrup and tomatoes. Apparently it's the chemical reaction between tomatoes and baking soda. Go figure.

I've never heard of putting baking soda in spaghetti sauce - I should think you would get a reaction similar to those baking soda/vinegar volcanos...

That's a new one for me, too.

"Can be used when preparing tomato sauce to neutralize the tomato's acidity."

I guess I've never had enough problems with the acidity to try anything. shrug

I'm sorry you had to throw it away. It really hurts when there's an expensive ingredient in it, too. mecry

Something you can do with this, strain the meat out of the sauce and reuse with new tomato sauce.

A very small pinch of soda is added to homemade tomato soup..................if.........you use milk to make it. It will neutralize the acid that curdles the milk.

A tablespoon of sugar in your tomato spaghetti sauce will dampen the acid better than soda. Also use veggies as carrots, zucchini to accomplish the same thing.

I thought about trying to strain out the meat, but then figured that with as violently as I reacted to that tomato sauce, if I save the meat I may end up just throwing out another batch. So I'll just eat what's still in the freezer for spaghetti sauce and stock up again next paycheck.

Archived