MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I got one!

The MacKinnon

Right after DH and I agreed to give up on eBay's auctions for a pressure canner, I tried one more time and found a 'buy it now' All American 915, nice looking and got it. I've been watching the auctions since July and finally gave up. Everyone was bidding them up to within $50 (not incl shipping) of a brand new one. But this looks like a nice one, has the 5-10-15 gauges and the manual, racks, etc. Nearly new! And I save about $75 (incl shipping) over a new one

Yee hah!

Quilty, this is my first canner! canning

I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing or where to begin, sooo I will be reading y'alls' posts verrry carefully.

Our cooking teacher was out yesterday; I still want to see if she could organize a workshop on canning...!

Thanks HS Mom! cheer

Oh my, now there are two things that are going to happen to you once you get going on the pressure canner...

1. Why didn't I start doing this sooner? cloud9

2. What else is there to canning?

I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do and if you have any questions, shout them out...someone here will know the answer!

Q

I mentioned elsewhere that I've also ordered The Ball Book of Canning and Preserving and Putting Food By and one on dehydrating foods (Mary Bell, I think).

And I'm searching Mrs S for info and recipes!

Just keep it out. Soon you will be canning turkeys- chicken and anything you find of sale. Canning in the winter helps keep the house warm and you can have more time with out having to garden at the same time. Having meat canned sure make it easy to get a meal together quick if needed and when your tired.

Good luck and enjoy.

I just got Putting Food By.

I have already attempted (and lived to tell the tale) 2 things I was really afraid of doing: learning to ride jumpers and SCUBA diving, but after reading the 1st couple of chapters in this book, I have to tell you I'm scared to death (I would have quoted David Crosby's remark in "Woodstock", but decorum prevents) of even attempting this.

Wow. I am definitely in awe of all of you who do this!

Archived