MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cytokine Storm in layman's terms please?

cookiejar

Could someone please explain the Cytokine Storm that can happen to otherwise basically healthy people?

Could we go a little basic here? One without CDC pie charts or graphs? grin

What are Gelsemiums or bryonia? Do I grow it or what?

I did buy oscillococcinum!

feedback

How basic?

On its most simplistic level, a cytokine storm is an immune system over-reaction, in which the body produces cytokines. Cytokines are not bad. But too much of a good thing can be bad. In this case, it is so severe that it endangers and/or kills the patient. Cytokine storms also sometimes occur in chemotherapy patients.

Bird flu supposedly kills many patients due to cytokine storms induced by the body's attempt to fight off the virus.

In my research on the issue, and what I can do to prepare, assuming that in the event of a pandemic, the medical establishment will be absolutely over-whelmed, I have tried to stock what I believe will be useful in fighting cytokine storm issues.

Benadryl is used to deal with cytokine storms in chemotherapy patients. Now, in a hospital setting, they would administer it IV. I'm stocking up on liquid Benadryl instead, hoping that will be a second best alternative to getting quick absorption.

Turmeric (curcumin) is also something I've been stocking up on, as it has been shown to reduce cytokine production. The type I get is enhanced by piperine (which comes from black pepper).

Green tea is both anti-viral and anti-inflammatory, and it too reduces cytokine production. I'm stocking up on green tea as it is a multi-faceted herbal remedy - good for so many things other than bird flu preps.

Garlic is anti-viral and does not increase cytokine production. Again, garlic is one of nature's miracles and belongs in everyone's herbal arsenal, as it helps in treating many problems.

St. John's Wort has been used to treat bird flu in poultry. I'm stocking up on it too.

Resveratrol is something that is contained in red wine, grape seeds, mulberries (I have a lot of mulberry trees on my place), and a variety of other foods. It is beneficial both for anti-viral properties as well as cytokine production inhibition.

Then, there are many things available in good multi-vitamins that are valuable: selenium, zinc, vitamin E ... so stocking up on vitamins (especially liquid vitamins, don't expect the patient to be able to swallow pills), is helpful.

AVOID Sambucol and aspirin, which both increase cytokine production.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-cytokine-storm.htm

We think of external microbes as our worst enemy during an outbreak of influenza or bronchitis, but our own immune systems are potentially more lethal. When our body detects foreign microorganisms indicating an infection, it might over-protect our lungs. We race so many antibodies to the site that they collect in a Cytokine storm, potentially blocking airways and causing suffocation. Medical researchers have identified the stages of the Cytokine storm and are working on treatments, other than flu vaccines, to weaken an overactive immune response.

At all times, sentries circulate in our bloodstream, called white blood cells, that are the first to sense if a virus or bacteria has infiltrated. Immediately, our body sends defenders from the immune system, T-cells, to the site of the infection. During this stage, our immunity functions properly, and T-cells attack the microbes so they do not get too strong a foothold in our lungs.

However, the mere presence of T-cells clustered at one site, especially the lungs, alerts other T-cells that a full-scale war has started. In the second stage, even more T-cells, known as cytokines, flood the lungs. This propagates a Cytokine storm where far too many immune cells are caught in an endless loop of calling even more. The Cytokine storm ends up inflaming the tissue of the lungs and crowding air passages, causing breathing difficulties.

Not only can severe inflammation damage your lungs permanently, but a prolonged Cytokine storm will eventually shut down your breathing. Airducts get clogged and cells no longer properly absorb oxygen. This is what makes the Cytokine storm so deadly in certain epidemic strains, such as bird flu. Even bronchitis, other varieties of influenza, pneumonia, and possibly rheumatoid arthritis are susceptible to triggering a Cytokine storm.

Of course, flu vaccines are usually effective at preventing the flu during its peak season. But they are no guarantee, especially when flu strains mutate after the vaccine has been manufactured. Therefore, researchers are pursuing other methods of preventing the Cytokine storm by bioengineering a drug that could slow the snowball effect of antibodies. They hope to force the cytokines to recirculate in the bloodstream, rather than pool in the lungs. Experts predict that a major influenza pandemic could kill millions of people worldwide as it has done in centuries past.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=11300

Definition of T cell

T cell: A type of white blood cell that is of key importance to the immune system and is at the core of adaptive immunity, the system that tailors the body's immune response to specific pathogens. The T cells are like soldiers who search out and destroy the targeted invaders.

Immature T cells (termed T-stem cells) migrate to the thymus gland in the neck, where they mature and differentiate into various types of mature T cells and become active in the immune system in response to a hormone called thymosin and other factors. T-cells that are potentially activated against the body's own tissues are normally killed or changed ("down-regulated") during this maturational process.

There are several different types of mature T cells. Not all of their functions are known. T cells can produce substances called cytokines such as the interleukins which further stimulate the immune response. T-cell activation is measured as a way to assess the health of patients with HIV/AIDS and less frequently in other disorders.

T cell are also known as T lymphocytes. The "T" stands for "thymus" -- the organ in which these cells mature. As opposed to B cells which mature in the bone marrow.

My 2cents...I can't help but wonder if this isn't an overload on antibiotics. Seems like SOME doctors give antibiotics for an stumped toe there by compromising our immune system. So when we really need antibiotics we have be given the "mega" drugs there by overloading our systems.

Don't get me wrong I am not laying all the blame on the doctors. I know people that go to a different doctor each week and they are loaded down with pills and they use a different pharmacy for each doctor.

Excellent explanations of the cytokine storms. I might add that strong healthy people will be more affected simply because they have a healthy immune system which will mount a stronger cytokine storm against the invading virus cells. This would be one case where those with weak immune systems might be necessary in a survival group. They may be the only ones able to care for those who are ill. Those of us with autoimmune diseases, on the other hand, may be in for our own brand of problems from the Avian flu.

Sambucol (elderberry extract and etc), which is so useful to the regular flu BECAUSE it encourages immune responses, is thought to be counterproductive to the Avian Flu. (I didn’t know about the Aspirin but will have to check out willow bark)

Gelsemium and Byronia are both homeopathic preparations that were used with very good results during the 1918 flu that is said to greatly resemble the Avian Flu. They can be purchased at most health food stores that sell homeopathic remedies or on line. They usually come as tiny pellets (pearls) that are held under the tongue to dissolve so can be given to even little babies.

The problem with this Avian Flu is that many medical professionals believe it can be treated like the regular flu when indeed it is a whole other beast.

I'm with Cowgirl. I stock all that she does plus the homeopathics. I especially stock vitamin C and would start using it at the first sign of the avian flu in our area. Might not help but I won't get scurvy at least and it could ward off the virus before it has a chance to take hold. Inexpensive to stock up on and worth a try.

((( )))

I am not 100% sure about the aspirin warning with respect to cytokine storms, unfortunately. I have read conflicting information about it, and I am still evaluating -- you know how it is, given the democratic nature of the Internet, there is so much bad info to weed out!!! So take that info with a grain of salt. I stock aspirin for other purposes, but will avoid administering it during an avian flu pandemic unless I find clear and convincing evidence that using it would do more good than harm.

However, regardless of aspirin's affects on cytokine storm aspects of the illness, it is also associated with Reye's Syndrome when administered to flu patients. Granted, most Reye's Syndrome deaths are in people 16 or younger, but not all - it kills adults also. So, if the patient has the flu, aspirin may not be the best choice for fever reduction, regardless of the patient's age.

I don't know about willow bark's safety as compared to aspirin. Let us know if you find out?

• 1 year later...

Archived