MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Jerky Receipe

help Way back when I first started reading on Mrs S., I found this receipe for a great beef jerky and my husband tried it and loved it. He has asked that I try to find it again for him. If anyone knows of one that was posted way back around 99-2000 I'd appreciate that receipe again for him. thanks a bunch if someone can locate one for me to give him . smile

From a quick search...

I'm guessing it's the first recipe... my Hubby LOVES that one!!! yumyum

Plus, it's from WAY back... one of the first recipes I remember from here. wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cat

04/25/04

I think this is from Armorer or DoubleOught (some of you remember!! ). It's more involved than just using the Teriaki sauce, but after your DH gets wind of new *recipes* for your jerky, HE'LL be buying the meat for you!

BEEF JERKY

2 c soy sauce

1/2 c water

3 Tbs Worcestershire sauce

1 Tbs liquid smoke (look near the Worcestershire sauce in the grocery)

1 Tbs garlic powder or onion powder (or, in proportion, use both if you're adventurous!)

1 Tbs ground ginger

black pepper (optional)

Mix well and marinate thin slices of sirloin steak 4 hours to overnight. Dry for jerky.

MAKING JERKY

Jerky is one of the most interesting products you can make with your dehydrator. Jerky cures usually center around salt, but you can make up whatever recipe you choose according to your own tastes. Besides salt, you can use soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tomato or barbecue sauce, onion, garlic or curry powder, liquid “smoke” flavoring, seasoned salt, black or red pepper… whatever sounds good!

Pick a lean cut of raw meat with as little fat as possible. Or use leftover cooked meat. A meat slicer will make quick and even slices, but you can partially freeze raw meat to get nice, even slices while it’s firm. If you slice with the grain, it will be chewy; across the grain will be more tender but also more brittle. Cut meat into strips about 1” wide, about 1/4” thick, and as long as you want. Trim off any obvious fat.

“Dry cures” are salt and seasoning mixtures rubbed into the meat surfaces. Spread the strips in a single layer on a cutting board or other flat surface. Sprinkle the curing mixture evenly on both sides of the meat strips, then layer the strips on top of each other in a glass or plastic container and seal tightly. Refrigerate overnight.

“Brine cures” or marinades combine liquid with the salt and spices. Meat is soaked until the salt is absorbed, usually overnight. Use any kind of salt except rock salt, which may contain impurities. Pour the marinade over the strips, cover tightly, and place the container into the refrigerator. Stir or turn several times to ensure thorough coating.

Preheat your dehydrator to 145 degrees F. Shake off any excess cure and spread strips on trays in a single layer. Dry until finished, about 4-12 hours. When cooled, jerky should be like a “green stick”… pliable enough to bend but not break (although across the meat grain *might* break!).

BEEF: Flank, round and sirloin are the better cuts of meat to use for jerky. Lower cost cuts will make more waste & cause more work trimming the fat.

HAM: Use pre-cooked and processed ham for safety.

WILD GAME: Deer, elk, moose and bear cam all be made into jerky. Venison (deer) makes very good jerky because it is so lean. The best cuts are flank and round cuts. Before drying, wild game should be frozen for 60 days at 0 degrees F to kill any disease-carrying bacteria that may be present.

POULTRY: This is a great way to use up cooked leftovers! Use the same cures as you use for beef. Because poultry is more fibrous, expect it to be more brittle.

HAMBURGER: Start with very lean ground beef, or select a chuck roast and have it ground for you. Rather than curing, just mix the flavorings into a meatloaf-type mixture. For example: to 1 pound ground meat, add 1 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce, and 1/4 tsp dried chopped onion.

Cover the dehydrator trays with parchment paper or plastic wrap, and roll out the hamburger mixture into a 1/8” layer. Dry for 4 to 6 hours at 145 degrees F. Take out the trays, blot any oil off of the meat, remove paper or plastic wrap, and return meat to trays upside-down. Dry for another 4-6 hours, until hard and leathery. Cut into strips and store.

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...true#Post119750

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HOME MADE BEEF JERKY

2 cups teriyaki sauce

3/4 cup water

½ cup Worcestershire sauce

2 t. garlic powder

2 t. onion powder

1 t. ground ginger (powder)

1 Tb. Liquid smoke

1 t. black pepper

1 t. Tabasco sauce

3-5 lbs. London broil, sliced thinly, with ALL fat removed.*

Mix all ingredients in large container with lid and add meat. Let marinate in refrigerator at least 8 hours, or as long as 24 hours.

Remove meat from marinade one slice at a time and squeeze out excess marinade. Place on flat baking pans or cookie sheets and bake @ 250 degrees until dried but still pliable. This could take 4 to 8 hours, depending on your oven. Remove from baking sheets, place on wire racks and let cool completely before storing.

I promise this will be the best jerky you've ever tasted! Don't add any salt, as the teriyaki sauce has plenty.

After jerky is completely cooled, you can also package it with your Foodsaver. This would work out perfectly, if you want to include it in a care package to a soldier or college student.

*If you don't remove all of the fat, there's a really good chance that your jerky will turn rancid. It's a very important step!

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...=true#Post32953

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bighug

This is such a timely topic as my dehydrator just arrived!

Can someone instruct me on the Nesco book instructing to use a cure packet if you make your own flavoring/seasoning/marinade?

Is it really necessary?

TIA!

I did a search to try and figure out what you meant by "cure pack". I found this:

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/beefjerkyrecipes.html

Soooo... the answer is NO, you don't need to buy their "cure pack" to make jerky. It'a just their way of selling more products to people who don't know how easy it is. wink

Try one of the above recipes, and if the directions aren't clear, ask again.

This is the one thing that, if you make it, your DH will support *all* of your preservation projects!!! rofl

Archived