MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

100% Natural Chicken-NOT

Did any of you see the Early Show this morning. They reported that 100% Natural chicken is not natural at all. You have to read in fine print -if it says marinaded with chicken broth-it is injected with saltwater. To the tune of a 4 oz. piece of raw chicken has more sodium in it then a package of potato chips or large order of McDonalds fries. Bad news for anyone who isn't suppose to have salt. The reason was to plump the chicken up, make more tender and moist.

I didn't see the show but I don't doubt it.

I guess the safest thing to do is to avoid as many processed items as possible. Read your labels. Try to grow as much as possible of your own foods.

I have noticed alot of the "name brand" fresh pork says guaranteed tender. If you read the label closely you will see it has been injected to keep it from drying out or getting tough. Any of the meats with the "puffy top plastic" has had gas injected to keep the product "fresher" longer. That is one reason why some of the grocery stores no longer have on site butchers. The entire pig/cow is cut up at a big meatpacker and gassed. It "looks" nice and fresh but it is alot older than a meat case meat used to be.

Even frozen products have been injected with various solutions. The big bags of breasts, wings etc. are often injected with things. Sometimes close to 15% is additives.

It almost makes me not want to eat anything. ALMOST... grin

Yes, they also showed a package of ground beef that was packaged in November 2005, it was still just as nice and red as you please. They went on to say if the meat smelled or was slimy not to eat it!!! Of course they said you won't know that until you get it home and open the package. If I didn't misunderstand they use some kind of gas to keep it red and pretty!

Hubby wondered why I bought ground beef at the country butcher shop instead of the "cheaper" (yeah, riiiight) ground beef at the store.

So I fried one pound of butcher shop ground beef and one pound "store bought".

The butcher shop meat was ALL meat... very little fat and NO extra water.

The store meat was very greasy and had about a half cup of water in it, too... which I usually just allow to "boil down".

The "cheaper" meat was costing more because of the added WATER I was paying for. Most of the store meat has so much water that it'll boil before it fries.

I'll buy the sales at the stores, but I prefer buying it freshly butchered from a place that's NEVER had a recall!!! wink

Originally Posted By: WormGuy
Makes me want a cow, and a hog and butcher it even more. frown

That would be the ideal way to go about it.

If that's not possible, second best would be to know someone who does raise these and know who they use for processing or help to process if they 'diy' at home.

If you don't know anyone, then check out processors/butchers til you find one you like and then ask them to recommend someone to buy beef/pork/chicken/etc from and have them process it for you.

Any one of these ways comes out cheaper in $$$ and higher in quality.

I just can hardly make myself buy meat anymore at Walmart. We have a butcher shop in town and that is where I try to buy my meat. I'm building a house right now out in the country on land of my own. I've already got goats. Soon I will have a few cattle, chickens and probably a pig or two. You can also try to find someone who already raises hogs and see if they will feed one out for you. It usually works out that there's will be almost free if they can sell one or two others. Would be the easiest thing to do I think. By the way, I don't post much, I lurked along time, just wanted to say I have learned so much from all of you.

Archived