MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pump N Seal

sparkysarah

Hello Everyone. This is my first post and I have a question. I have a Foodsaver. My husband showed me something online called a Pump n Seal at Pump n Seal. I am fascinated by it. You can use any jar or bag. I feel it is extremely affordable. It sounds like you can, can fruit with it. It requires no electricity. Do any of you have one of these? I would love to know everyone's opinion before I make a purchase. Thank You! I love this website....it is amazing and inspiring!!!

SARAH

welcome5 Sarah! LOVE the name!!! wink

I couldn't get your link to work, so here's one I found: http://www.pump-n-seal.com/

I'm not sure what you mean about "canning" fruit with it. It's a device that removes air from a container, helping to preserve the contents. But it's not like a canner.

If you dehydrate foods, it's great for helping to remove the air that could introduce moisture. Anything dry, like cereal, is better preserved without that air, too.

Canning things actually cooks and seals out bacteria that spoils foods. That's why you have to follow the correct procedures carefully so that it's safe. It involves heat and water and sterilized jars and lids... nothing else will preserve fresh foods (other than freezing).

Here's a few websites that I don't think are connected to Pump-N-Seal, where people talk about actually using them. Maybe they'll help...?

http://www.viworld.com/pumpnseal/pumpnsealtalk.htm

http://www.pump-n-seal.com/chicagotribune.html

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/326710

Ask us anything... we like to help!

bighug

SparkySarah: You said that you were fascinated that with the Pump and Seal you can use any jar to seal things. Did you know that you can buy an attachment for your Food Saver which will allow you to seal things in canning jars or mayonnaise jars, etc.? You can get one to fit either the large or small mouth jars. Of course this is not "canning", but really is nice to seal off dehydrated food or dry food. When you do it right, the lid holds on by vacuum pressure. Of course, you have to have electricity to operate your Food Saver.

Sarah, if I were you I would go for the attachment for your foodsaver. I have one for wide mouth and regular mouth jars. they work really well.I do have a pump-n-seal. I watched the video, followed the instructions and haven't gotten one jar to seal. I will probably try again sometime but i got really frustrated and almost threw the thing across the room. I have heard there are people who get it to work for them... smile

Sounds like the pump n seal is not what I thought. How does the attachment for the food saver work? I saw what you were talking about but it doesn't say how it works. It gave me the impression that you need one for every jar. 8.99 each. That can't be right. But I'm very interested! Sounds like it would do what I need for a lesser cost. Let me know what you all think. Thank you all for the input....I really appreciate it.

Hi Sarah, no you don't need one attachment for each jar. You sit a canning lid on the jar, put the attachment on the jar, hook the hose up to the food saver, press the "canister" (on mine you do)button and wait for it to finish. When done, remove the hose from the machine and take the attachment off of the jar. If it has worked properly the lid wil be "stuck" to the jar due to the vacumn in the jar. All done and ready for the next one.

wormie

John

From what I have heard from the Pump N Seal.. things go 50/50 some people like them some hate them. It all comes down to how much pressure you can get the things to do. I have a foodsaver myself and use the widemouth attachment. I dehydrate alot of different foods and it works for me. Only one attachment because you just use the canning jar lids.

Thank you very much everyone. I think I will get an attachment ordered for the foodsaver. Makes more sense and much less expensive. I will use it for my dried goods I already have in jars and learn to can to do canned fruits. I want to buy #10 fruits and re-can them to a size for my family. Thank you again!

SARAH

Archived