MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fencing in January

Cowgirl

Illinois is an unusual place. In January it can be -20 F, or it can be 70 F. Fortunately for us, today it was warm and sunny, probably in the 50's. Balmy, almost! We had to beef up the pasture fence, as the buck (still a kid and agile as heck) has become a bit of an escape artist and has taken to going on "dates" with one of our young does. We've got it goat proof now, though, I'm pretty sure. Just when you think you've got all the outside projects DONE and can focus on the indoor projects for the winter, one of the critters has different ideas! LOL! Anyhow, it was such a beautiful day, it was a joy to be outside enjoying the sunshine. That has to be the best possible medicine to get us over the colds we've been fighting since the holidays.

LOL!

The good news is that the extra wires keep them in. We have an electric fence (solar chargers mean they work even when the power is out). We had wires at 1, 2, 3 and 4 feet. That worked well until we got the new buck kid. So, I added a switchable wire at 6 inches (can shut it off when there's snow, or the grass gets ahead of them), and another wire at 18 inches. He stuck his nose under the fence, got zapped, and that was the last of our Great Escapes.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad you had a nice day to get your fence fixed. Boy, we had barely above 0 temps. and strong winds. Thankfully the winds have died down some because we're getting heavy snow right now and it's to add up to 6+".

Keeping goats in is not an easy task. Good luck! smile

By Dora:

Quote:
Some one once said, "If water can get through it, so can a goat" LOL.

Uh Oh....said the new keeper of two dwarf goats........ DarleneSwoon

Somebody tell me it ain't true...... mecry

MtRider [if I had to fence in January....it would be made of snow.....which the goats would have a fun time playing on..... Ya can't drive in a T-post here for.....{counting on fingers} ......almost 7 months of the year. frozen ]

Archived