MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I have a great opportunity to write

RusticOkie

for our local small town newspaper. But there is a small problem, I have no idea what to write about. Nothing like the opportunity to write anything you want and have it published and not be able to come up with anything. rollingeyes I'm hoping you ladies might have some inspiration for me. I don't know if I should write different articles every week about whatever strikes my fancy at the moment or if I should start a column and write on the same topic every week.

Any ideas? What do you like about your paper?

What would you like to read about that isn't there? Keep in mind this is a small town full of sheeple and I don't want to upset the balance too much.

That's a very broad question...

If it were me, I would make the topic something about Simplifying or De-stressing your life. Then write about simple living, healthy local foods, self-sufficiency, reducing consumerism, increasing family time, etc.

OOOOH! Simple living can encompass *SO* much!! clap

Start interviewing the older members of the community for how *they* remember doing things to save money, have fun, live simply, etc. They are a WEALTH of information, and they LOVE to talk!!!

You'll gain extraordinary attention for your column, teach people, and make the often-lonely elders feel special.

clapsmilie

Write about anything and everything---I wouldn't even use Simple Living as an umbrella because after several months, you'll run out of topics. "Life Around Here" could be anything--and you'd still be able to use topics to get people to think about stocking up, doing things the old ways, etc.

I think your key is to find some interesting folks to interview. You don't really need a voice recorder to do this--that will take you so much time. Just go with a notebook and write down the relevant quotes that make your story sound interesting and trust in your own memory to get the rest in. Otherwise, you're going to take all week to write a weekly column that should take about an hour to do!

PS. I was a newspaper columnist for a few years in my wayward youth--I wanted to call it "The Acorn Beat" because I covered all the nuts-- LOL but the editor wouldn't let me. I was desperate sometimes for ideas and got my best columns sitting in the dunkin donuts and listening to conversations.

OMG lol "Acorn Beat" that is hilarious.

You're right, I don't want to limit myself where I start to run out of topics, that would be very bad. Trusting in my memory is the scary part. It seems to be fried since having the baby! But a reviewing a tape could take ages. I'll keep that in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

RusticOkie...if you HAVE to use a tape recorder, use one with a little counter on it. As you are also taking notes (in case your recorder fries on you) and you hear your subject say something quotable, write down the number on the counter and that way you don't have to search through the entire tape for the nice little sound byte you know is there!

After a while, you will be fine without the recorder. If you're only writing one story a week, the tape won't slow you down too bad. I was a daily reporter and the column was in addition to my regular daily stories so I couldn't spend a whole lot of time on it!

Every person you meet and every column you write will be etched into your life and onto your heart. You are going to have FUN doing this. I'm a little jealous, LOL

I would say, write about what interests you so your readers will feel your interest when reading it. If I tried to writing about fixing the TV, booorrring BUT if I were to write about gardening, for example, I would be interested and my article would probably show the difference.

Also, congratulations, the opportunity you have is wonderful.

Enjoy!!!!

Archived