MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Shampoo bars

Screaming Eagle

This is VERY interesting; thanks for the link.

You're right; it would be easier to store, especially in a BOB...

It's also worth looking into how to make it yourself. I'm not one to ask, though, I've never tackled regular soapmaking...

I scanned thru the link; seems lots of traditional shampoos are really detergent...that's not good. I remember trying shampooing w/ soap once and the results were bad, but that may have just been the type of soap I used...

Yes, all soap contains lye, if there is no lye, there is no soap. Burning is caused by using too much lye or not curing properly. The as CrabGrass stated, the hot process does complete the curing process. I use the cold process method but would love to try the hot process as well. Rosemary soap is great on the hair. I never buy shampoo any more, I just use the soap that I make on my hair as well.

I make my own shampoo bar, and prefer it to the liquid soaps - it is much easier to travel with, and you don't have to worry about special containers. With good scales and a good recipe, you don't need to worry about lye burns from the soap itself although safety measures need to be taken in order to avoid burns while processing.

I use a pure vegetable oil recipe for my shampoo bars, which includes: Olive oil, Castor oil, Coconut oil, Jojoba oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Avocado oil, and Shea butter. With all these oils, this soap has a nice scent without any essential oils for fragrance. I do add Vitamin E oil as it's good for the hair, and grapefruit seed extract to help as a preservative.

This bar is very moisturizing, which I find good for my daughters and my long hair. I'm not sure it would work good with short hair.

I'm running low on mine so probably need to whip up a batch soon.

Another thing I've found about hair products is that they vary greatly with the water that you use. My hair comes out totally different when we travel and I use different water than what we have at home.

Dawn

GOODMORNING3-1.jpg

I have made soap using glycerin base from Hobby Lobby and it is good soap. It is not shampoo, but it is soap. I do like my liquid shampoo, so not sure if I am ready to try making a bar for shampoo yet. smile

HAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gifHUGS3-2.gif

Archived