MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Provident Pantry TVP - Any good?

Hi everyone, I've been debating ordering some sample cans of TVP from Emergency Essentials...some of their house branded goods. They have Provident Pantry TVP at a reasonable price for #10 cans. I am looking for opinions as to quality, taste, texture etc versus other brands, or shelling out the big bucks for freezedried meat from PP or MH. TVP is a LOT cheaper and I could afford to stock some, but don't want to get stuck with crummy quality product if I can avoid it.

Help...??

I just bought some sausage-flavored TVP from EE...I think the brand is PP. But I haven't opened it.

Have you tried any TVP? I can buy small amounts from the bulk section of the healthfood store. I've tried a few kinds, and pretty much think it's all about the same.

I bought a few cans last year and opened the beef. We don't care for it, but I like to eat it right out of the can as a snack. I can't eat much because it is quite salty. I like a lot of salt but this is a little much. We are looking at Mountain House from here on.

wormie

John

To me, TVP is affordable, comes set up for long term storage and won't need to be cooked. It is definately part of my protein stores.

I feel, if things are bad enough to have to be opening up my long term stores, my family will be happy to eat anything i can make.

I have far more canned tuna, chicken and salmon then tvp however. I wish I could find decent and affordable canned beef!

I have tons of TVP and don't really care for it, but it could be used for barter purposes, so I keep it. I think it's the flavored TVP that I dislike...perhaps the unflavored could be masked with more natural seasonings.

I used to buy the TVP from EE and loved it. It's all in how you season it. We loved the taco flavored one and the beef I used half and half with hamburger in meatloaves and meatballs. I also made those things with just the TVP for vegetarian friends and they loved the meatballs. However, the Provident Pantry TVP changed its recipe some time back to include corn protein and I cannot have it due to allergies. I recently found that Bobs Red Mill makes small packs of TVP that is pure soy and it is unflavored. We use beef broth to flavor it and I find I like this way better than what we used before. I learned to make my own taco sauce and seasoning and we now again enjoy TVP tacos....a low-cal dinner my teenager loves.

Archived