MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ezekiel Bread

I have been researching Ezekiel Bread. Sounds like great stuff. I am looking at getting the stuff to make it and a grain mill. I'm looking at the wonder mill. Have you ever tried the Ezekiel Bread? What did you think of it? I can see that the health benefits would be amazing. It is a complete food.

Thank You.

SARAH

Hi Sarah!

I haven't tried Ezekiel bread, but we have a recipe here that I remember others saying is good. It was a big topic some years back. Seems like it's a heavy bread...?

EZEKIEL BREAD

2 1/2 Cups whole wheat

1 1/2 Cups whole rye

1/2 Cup barley

1/4 cup millet

1/4 Cup lentils

2 Tbsp. great northern beans (uncooked)

2 Tbsp. red kidney beans (uncooked)

2 Tbsp. pinto beans (uncooked)

2 Cups lukewarm water, divided

1/2 Cup plus 1 tsp. honey, divided

2 Tbsp. yeast

1/4 Cup extra-virgin olive oil

Measure and combine all the above ingredients into a large bowl. Put this mixture into a flour mill and grind. The flour should be the consistency of regular flour. Course flour may cause digestion problems. This makes eight cups of flour. Use four cups per batch of bread.

Measure four cups of flour into a large bowl. Store the remaining flour mixture in the freezer for future use.

Measure one cup lukewarm water (110-115 degrees) in a small mixing bowl. Add 1 t. of the honey and the yeast, stir to dissolve the yeast, cover, and set aside, allowing the yeast to rise for five to ten minutes.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the following: olive oil, ½ cup honey, and remaining cup of warm water. Mix well and add this to the flour mixture in the large bowl. Add the yeast to the bowl and stir until well mixed. The mixture should be the consistency of slightly "heavy" cornbread. Spread the mixture evenly in a 11 by 15 pan sprayed with cooking oil. Let the mixture rise for one hour in a warm place.

Bake at 375 degrees for approx. thirty minutes. Check for doneness. Bread should be the consistency of baked cornbread.

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...=true#Post19850

Looks like the same recipe I'm looking at except mine calls for spelt. I know rye is a substitute. I have virtually none of the ingredients so making it would be an investment especially in the grain mill...which I have been wanting. I just want to make sure it is worth it. It is so healthy...but is it yummy?

I was curious how the ground up dried beans would digest. When we cook beans, we are careful to discard the soaking water. Here, there is no soak, and no discard. So ... if you just grind them up and throw them in bread, are there digestive consequences?

I used to make Ezekiel bread a lot, none of us had any digestion (or flatulence) problems from it, although we're used to eating whole grain products and lots of fruit and veggies.

Sarah;

I've had a Whisper mill for a little over 10 years now. It has been a great mill for me. It is my understanding that someone bought them out and changed the name to Wonder mill. I'm not sure if they made any design changes, but I've heard their customer support isn't good, which sort of bothers me because I've never had any problems with mine, and along with our own grains (wheat and corn primarily), I also grind for some friends so mine gets some pretty heavy use at times.

Dawn

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: sparkysarah
I was looking ad breadbeckers....let us know what you think when you've tried it. Walton Feed also has a mix.

Well, I made the Ezekiel bread recipe on the Breadbecker site. That version is a batter bread. First off I don't have a grinder yet. I found that a coffee grinder is not an acceptable substitute, and a food processor will not grind it fine enough. But a blender works pretty well. It leaves it as a corse flour, but turned out a really nice texture.

The bread has the texture of a zucchini bread. It's is kind of sweet, but not very sweet. It has a nice taste, but it does have that whole wheat twang. I'll probably order a couple more recipes next order, plus buckets of some of the ingredients.

Archived