MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Louisiana? Or Else?

Aint2nuts

I have talked to a few people from Louisiana who have used the Health care (Mental and medical) system there. They say that the Baton Rouge area (which I am basically moving into) is overwelmed and it takes months to get appointments.

That just WON'T Do. Arizona has wonderful health care for low income, and I can get in the same day if I call in the morning most of the time. No later than the next day!

While I have complaints about the mental health care system (Megellan is no better than Value Options was) I still get my medications that I need.

So, here is my question.

Does anyone live in a state with low rental prices (where I can find an acre or two of land and a 3-4 br. home or mobile home to rent for under 700 a month) and GOOD health care?

I know I am asking the impossible, but I don't want to move to Louisiana just to find out that the health care system that I have to rely on sucks lemons. Someone told me that their mental health care system was like "Walking back into the 19th century"

Well need more info...

Can you handle the snot freezing cold weather if so maybe you can join Trip and Sandy in Montana. If you are like da boss and cut the grass in you swim suit then maybe you need to stick to the southen states.

Other than land and 3-4 bedrooms what are you looking for?

Quote:
I know I am asking the impossible, but I don't want to move to Louisiana just to find out that the health care system that I have to rely on sucks lemons. Someone told me that their mental health care system was like "Walking back into the 19th century"

You are right on with this assessment. I have lived in this state for 51 of my 52 years; this is sadly too true.

I don't want to derail your thread with personal examples; PM me if you'd like to for that...

Actually, I'm trying to get OUT of here myself and would also like to see what advice/answers ppl will give to your question. Like you, I'd like to avoid jumping from the pot into the fire!

The health care system in the entire country is broken; but there ARE differences among the states; some have better levels of care for specific things...like mental health.

Here are a couple of links that may help you; but I'm warning you that it's like looking for a needle in a haystack...good affordable care, that is.

http://familiesusa.org/resources/state-information/

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section...m&lstid=333

Like M23B says, we need more info about specifics that you are looking for.

I'll say this, if you can get 24 hour turnaround for appointments, that's fantastic.

Baton Rouge had its population numbers explode overnight courtesy of Hurricane Katrina, as did many other "Northshore" towns...the infrastructure and services are stressed on many levels and there just hasn't been enough time to catch up. Honestly, I don't think ppl have finished moving around yet; many are still in "temporary" living arrangements due to waiting on insurance claims, etc etc etc.

There MUST be a better option for you somewhere...
Originally Posted By: mommato3boys
Well need more info...

Can you handle the snot freezing cold weather if so maybe you can join Trip and Sandy in Montana. If you are like da boss and cut the grass in you swim suit then maybe you need to stick to the southen states.

Other than land and 3-4 bedrooms what are you looking for?

I wrote this for my blog, but it applies here. LOL, it is a dream, so keep that in mind.

Okay in my dreams, I dream of a big 4 bedroom house for the kids and I. Big farm house, with a wrap around porch, big kitchen perfect for four people to work together in, with a center island. The kitchen is white, with red and green accents. Apples, and Americana decorate the walls. Wood floors throughout the house. There is a huge walk in hidden pantry room that holds a year's worth of food and two freezers. There is a basement where I have fall vegetables and grains stored.

The kitchen connects to the front room with the dining area -- a huge round country table that seats 8. It has a lazy susan in the middle for condiments/salt pepper etc. Farm style chairs around the table and a big -- huge -- country breakfront to hold my Grandmother's demitasse cups and my angel collection.

The front room have two big overstuffed leather couches and two comfortable chairs. There is a big -- huge open hearth fireplace that I could cook on if I ever needed to. There are pictures of Big Cats in the room. Along with the brown of the sofa's the rest is done in Blue and Forest green, there is a study just off the front room with three work stations for homeschooling, and a library area with lots of books in bookcases.

Then you go to the kids rooms. Tya's is done in Bratz and Balinese bright colored fabrics to match her quilt my Mom did for her. Ricky's is done in Red White and Blue country, to match the quilt that was made for him. Katy's is done in teal and some other colors with a Neopets or Club Penguin theme, and each have their own room to keep clean.

My room is done in Delft Blue and White. I have a huge tub for relaxing in (and big enough to wash the dog that we will have) at the end of the day. Big walk in closet.

Outside I can see a garden, big, takes up a good part of the yard. There are solar panels and a windmill that collects power to use for the house. I can see the barn where the pig lays in the shade, and the chickens are scratching the yard up lazily, and the goat is in her pen, ready to be milked. I better get going.

As you can see, it is a dream, but it pretty much tells what I am looking for. Honestly I will settle for a mobile home with a good well and septic, garden area, internet access is a must.... and my kids are begging to live someplace where it snows. I don't care either way. I don't mind the snow or driving on it.

Just a point to remember....if you consider moving where it gets frozen you have to pay to heat the place from 3-6 months of the year. The cheaper the rent, the less likely it will be well insulated. Be that firewood or propane or gas or electric...it's all going UP in price.

When you live in the hot regions (with no winter) I suppose you have air-condiitioning costs...unless you choose to live with just the available breezes like we did on Maui. So maybe it would even out.... But a lot of folks can live without A/C [not me - heat is deadly to me] but in many "snow" places, the heating bill is NOT an option.

My 2 cents. (Which is all I have left after paying the propane bill!) laughkick

MtRider

Right now I have 300 a month electric bills because of the summer air conditioning. I have the plan that takes my yearly usage and devides by 12, and that is what I pay.

I can't imagine bills being more than 300 a month year round.

I have lived all over the US, but only in cities. Colorado --Westminster, Denver, Arvada, Littleton, Colorado Springs, Air Force Academy, Oregon, North Carolina, Philedelphia (actually BrynMawr), New York and New Jersey, Florida (Niceville and Valpariaso), California, Delmar, Whittier, San Diego, Vista, I have lived in Texas (San Antonio) and the longest I have ever stayed anywhere is a toss up between the last 3 years in this house and 5 years total, in Arizona, and Four years in Italy. Don't want to live in Italy, but I wouldn't mind moving to Bali Indonesia. LOL I loved it there.

I don't mind the cold weather, in fact it is nice because my allergies clear up. Here in Arizona I never get a break from allergies.

However, I want to live someplace with trees, that can grow trees, and with a place I can garden. It is really important to me to have a garden.

those are really cool and I would love living in Oregon. My only problem with buying a place is that I don't have the credit and my financing runs out in just 6 short years. My son turns 18 in 6 years, my daughters turns 18 in 7-7 1/2 years, and when my kids are gone all I will have is whatever SSI is in the year 2014. Probably about 650, but the way things are going, maybe nothing.

Archived