MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Walmart, Sam's and Prep Kits

YYY

Hi everybody,

I’m posting this here because this is where everyone has always been so nice and helpful to me. I want to make sure that those that only check this thread get to see this info. I will also post it in “Are You Really Ready”.

Colorado Walmarts and Sam’s Clubs are displaying samples of Emergency Preparedness Kits in their stores March 1 – March 9, 2008. There is a brochure that customers can pick up. You can see and print the brochure at the following link:

http://whatifcolorado.com/pdf/walmart_brochure.pdf

On page 1, column 1 of the above link (5th bullet down), it encourages 3 days of supplies, but then it says “start toward a three-week supply”.

• Start by collecting a three-day supply of the

consumables, such as food, water and medication.

Once you have gathered your three-day supply,

start toward a three-week supply.

Maybe Walmarts and Sam’s Clubs in other states are also doing this. This might be a way to reinforce what you have been trying to tell friends and family.

Hope this is of use to someone.

YYY

PS – CookieJar -- I’m branching out again !!! :-)

Woo-hoo. I always like to see when places put out info like that to the general public. On one hand it makes me glad that they are thinking about it and trying to get peoples attention. On the other hand it sort of scares me to think of what they know that I don't and just what and how soon it is going to be here.

Ya know what? Every time I start to get lazy about prepping something like this gives me a smack upside the head to keep me going.

Thanks for the smack! hit

Wow...

Glad to see it. Wal Mart is trying, it looks like. Ours here is selling the reusable grocery bags. While talking to the cashier about them, she said that Wal Mart had told them (the employees) in a recent meeting that they were planning to phase out any plastic bags and start using only the reusable cloth...Probably will take a while, but at least it's a start...

Hey, the only time WalMart 'gets it' is when their Marketing Department $ays there will be more profit$.

That's a good sign, because their marketing gurus generally have their finger on the pulse of the masses...

Hmmm...the trend is leaning more towards prepping now, huh?

Originally Posted By: PureCajunSunshine
Hey, the only time WalMart 'gets it' is when their Marketing Department $ays there will be more profit$.

That's a good sign, because their marketing gurus generally have their finger on the pulse of the masses...

I've actually heard a couple conversations at work about people getting a couple weeks worth of preps stocked. It seems that much of the general public is finally starting to take prepping seriously.

But I've also heard a couple commercials on the radio about stocking up in case of a storm. One was a company, so the motivation is profits, but the other was ready.gov. Kind of makes you think, if the gov is stressing preps, is there a credible terrorist threat?
Originally Posted By: stacey
Wow...
Glad to see it. Wal Mart is trying, it looks like. Ours here is selling the reusable grocery bags. While talking to the cashier about them, she said that Wal Mart had told them (the employees) in a recent meeting that they were planning to phase out any plastic bags and start using only the reusable cloth...Probably will take a while, but at least it's a start...

Just something else to charge you for when you visit there. I wish they would bring bag paper bags. I like paper bags. So many uses.
Originally Posted By: Fritz_Monroe
Originally Posted By: PureCajunSunshine

I've actually heard a couple conversations at work about people getting a couple weeks worth of preps stocked. It seems that much of the general public is finally starting to take prepping seriously.

But I've also heard a couple commercials on the radio about stocking up in case of a storm. One was a company, so the motivation is profits, but the other was ready.gov. Kind of makes you think, if the gov is stressing preps, is there a credible terrorist threat?

I don't think they are thinking terrorist threat but more like spending and buying all those "emergency" items which means more money spent. Then again they do not want to take another political beating they way they did with Katrina either.

I saw on the news today they said people are buying more in bulk like from Sam's and etc. Wonder whats making them do that, higher prices or are more people prepping?

Archived