MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Brands of canning jars

Evergreen

I bought several dozen Ball mason jars at Walmart this weekend for $8.58 - pints and $9.12 quarts.

I just noticed that Freds had the Ball jars for slightly higher ($9.68 quarts) but also had Golden Harvest brand jars for about $2.00 a dozen cheaper. They were not wide mouth like the BAll- but for $2 a dozen I think I could use the regular!

I have always used Ball in the past- is there a difference in the quality of the jars?

I haven't had any problem with the golden harvest jars. It seems like I had one batch where the flat lid didn't hold a seal. But the jars themselves are great and I just use Kerr or Ball lids on them.

I just had about 8 dozen Bernardin jars given to me, still in the boxes and with the old lids and rings. Actually the women paid me to take them and some other "junk" to the trasnfer station, when i saw the jars, i told her they were going to my trasnfer station free of charge.. i think these jars were sold in Canada

Ball, Kerr and Golden Harvest canning jars are all made by the same manufacturering company...Jarden Home Brands. The only difference is the name. Ball canning jars are more prevalent on the east coast, Kerr on the west coast and I'm not sure about Golden Harvest lol.

I've bought those same Golden Harvest jars and used them just fine, so save yourself $2 and get them. Your jars are awful high though where you're at. I can get pints for $6.99 and quarts for $7.29 at Ace Hardware here.

Have fun!

I have found that I cannot fit as many Golden Harvest brand regular pint jars in my All-American pressure canner (I think it is a 21.5 canner).

While I can get 19 pints of Kerr/Ball regular pints in a load, the regular-mouth Golden Harvest pints seem just a smidge larger in diameter and I can only get 16 in one load.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Archived