MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

bread recipes for freshly milled wheat -- preferably for ABM?

anyone have bread recipes for freshly milled wheat -- preferably for a bread machine? I just got my new kitchenaid grinder attachment in the mail. I have wheat - hard white and soft white and would love to try it out! The health food store didn't have vit c powder or lecithin granules but they did have whey powder and gluten. So that's all I have on hand for a dough enhancer/conditioner. Any suggestions for delicious bread to prove to hubbby this wasn't a crazy idea?? smile

here is a hint... look in your medicine cabinet for... Vit. C!!! grind it up! yes, yes the kind you take works. so what it is chewable orange flavor... no one will taste it.

They sell vital wheat gluten dough enhancer at Wal Mart....and as I have learned, don't use freshly ground wheat--grind it, store it in a bin for 30 days first. (helps the gluten)

Yeah, I thought that too highdesertgirl...but it seems that immediately ground is too fresh for the gluten. (not exactly sure why but that's what I have been reading.) I got a ton of books on this topic, the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book seems to have the most info on making the loaves. Mine finally came out great today, using their recipe--and whole wheat flour from Bob's Red Mill. I have ground some flour and put it aside for a few weeks and will see how that goes. At least I actually made good whole wheat bread for the family--they had hamburger buns I made today.

more research? crazy

I was told that I needed to use my freshly ground flour immediately, because the longer it sits in storage, the more the vitamins dissipates...

Uuugh!

Well, I get my grains on Monday, FINALLY! (it kept getting delayed) I'll see what that bread book recommends. I know BreadBeckers had gluten and dough enhancer recommended for some recipes.

I'm not sassing yet, but I'll admit it, its work trying to pull together all of these different pieces into something cohesive.

Thank you all! Couldn't do it without you! bouquet

Ask Westbrook...she knows MORE about this than anyone here. I think it might work with the fresh if you use the vital wheat gluten dough enhancer, but I made so many bricks, I decided to do what the Bread book said.

I use my fresh ground flour right away- you can store for a short time -maybe a week or so in fridge- but it looses nutritional value the longer stored. (from what I understand- someone correct me if I am wrong) smile

Ok..then why does the tutorial in the bread book say to store the flour 30 days first in order for the gluten strands to form better when you bake it?

Does it taste better when you use it right away and does your bread rise? Mine came out like bricks. I would love to get the knack of this. It's sort of humilitating to have such culinary failures when the stuff I make with white flour comes out so lovely, LOL!!

I've baked bread for the family for years with whole wheat flour bought at the store or with white flour, but this home-ground flour just makes....bricks !!

Granted, the recipies I used did not mention using dough enhancer or vital wheat gluten. I got some. I'll be brave and try this again with home-ground fresh flour, LOL

(would rather use fresh...cause I also thought it was better. Book is confusing me)

Originally Posted By: JCK88
Ok..then why does the tutorial in the bread book say to store the flour 30 days first in order for the gluten strands to form better when you bake it?

Sorry Judy- What bread book??????- I have never read that.

The Urban Homemaker has great recipes and tips for bread HERE

This homemakers blog has great tips on homemade bread -proofing yeast ect.... HERE

Check out the wood bowl she kneeds her bread in- LOVE it!

and lastly - here is a toutorial I did on my blog making whole wheat rolls- HERE

I did use 1/2 bread flour for these since I was taking them for Thanksgiving- Fresh whole wheat takes some getting used to for the digestive system.

Just dig in and have FUN!!!

One more with bread machine instructions Here

I thought fresh was better too, that was the whole point of the home milling I thought. I made one successful loaf with hard white wheat using 1 T gluten (from the bulk section at the health food store). The kids loved it, dh hated it. I will keep trying and might do half bread flour, half whole wheat.

I tried using soft white wheat... didn't work. I'm learning that that is more for cakes or quick breads than the hard wheat? I need to get a book on this stuff!

Off to check out the links....

Archived